Chapter 30

Hyunjin walked back and forth in her living room, hands running through her face, hair, arms, completely unable to sit still while waiting for Haseul to arrive. Heejin laid on the couch, still unconscious, her heart beating so weak Hyunjin could barely listen to it.

She couldn't even enjoy the fact that they were back at her house, home. If she had ever imagined the moment she would set foot in her house once more, it had to do with anything but Heejin on the brink of death.

No, she couldn't be dying. If Jinyoung's blood still ran in her veins, she couldn't die. But what if she succeeded in sucking it out? What if she was still a human, and was actually dying?

No, no, no.

More tears dwelled in Hyunjin's eyes as she stared at Heejin.

An engine sounded outside. Hyunjin dashed to the door, opening it to see Haseul's car approaching faster than she ever saw her driving. It stopped a couple seconds after, the car drifting as Haseul stepped hard on the brakes.

Haseul stood up and flung the door shut, running to the trunk to fetch her supplies, then ran to Hyunjin.

"What happened?" Haseul asked, out of breath.

Hyunjin grabbed her arm and pulled her inside. Haseul gasped the second she saw Heejin laying down on the couch, skin still too pale to be healthy.

"Jinyoung fed her with his blood. I ran, bit her to try and suck his blood out so she wouldn't turn, but I think I drank too much, and now she needs blood."

"She-She's a vampire?! And you bit her?!"

"I don't know!" Hyunjin threw her arms in the air, frustration taking over her. "Just help her! It was the only thing that came to my mind to try and save her, but I have no idea if it even worked. I don't know if she's human or not, but look at her, she needs blood!"

"Oh, god," Haseul mumbled, a hand to her head, like she was feeling dizzy. "W-What if you feed her blood?"

"What if she's human? She only swallowed a few drops of his blood, I honestly don't know how much it's needed to turn, so what if I managed to somehow clean her blood? I can't feed her blood without knowing!"

Haseul kept staring at Heejin. "Okay, let's do a transfusion."

"Where do you have the blood?"

Haseul folded her sleeves up her arms. "In me. I'm gonna give her some of mine, my blood type is compatible with every other type."

"Thank the Goddess." Hyunjin exhaled, feeling a weight being lifted from her chest. "Thank you, Haseul."

Nodding, Haseul rushed to Heejin.

"Is she okay there?" Hyunjin asked. "Do you want me to put her somewhere else?"

"She's okay like this, just bring me a chair, please."

In an almost literal second, a chair was right beside Haseul. She widened her eyes for a second before mumbling a thanks, and sat down. From her bag, she took a syringe, some cloth, and a bottle of some transparent liquid.

Hyunjin sat on her armchair and observed as Haseul soaked the cloth with the liquid, and carefully grabbing Heejin's arm, she rested it on her lap. Then, she cleaned Heejin's inner elbow with the cloth, and her own right next. Haseul grabbed the syringe and after taking a deep and long breath, inserted the needle into her own arm.

A chill ran down Hyunjin's back as the red liquid slowly filled the interior of the syringe, its scent like a light mist surrounding Hyunjin. Her inhale echoed in the silence of the room.