Chapter 23

You're sure I didn't hurt you?" Hyunjin asked, caressing Heejin's hair.

Heejin giggled. "You didn't."

"I was so scared of hurting you, you know. It's been such a long time since I've been with someone. I was afraid I had lost my touch and my ability to control myself."

"You did amazing. And how long exactly?"

"You're gonna laugh at me."

"I won't!"

"I've lost count, but several years."

Heejin widened her eyes. "Why?"

"As you know, after me and my brother got turned, I got to a rough place. When we were basically mercenaries and killed other vampire clans for money. Well, it was because of it that we could afford our house, but I'm not proud. During those times, I would sleep around a lot. With other vampires, humans sometimes, but that was much riskier. I managed to get through it by demanding it to happen with the lights off so my eyes wouldn't show."

Heejin chuckled. "That sounds like a lot of work. Weren't you scared of being found out?"

"Oh, yeah. But I liked the thrill. The danger of it. I just didn't care about anything, you know?" Hyunjin sighed. "Then my brother died, and while I could have sunk even deeper, I started to value my life just as it was and finally live the kind of life he would have liked me to live."

"You're a different person now, and that's what matters." Heejin kissed her cheek. "But, you're better at controlling your senses and strength now that you were several years ago. How come you could control it before? I mean, not to use excessive force with humans or something like that?"

Hyunjin stared at her. "To put it simply, Heejin, it was just easier back then. I wasn't as experienced with my senses, but what I experienced in those moments didn't compare in the slightest to what I've been feeling now. This was... so much more intense, in every way. I had never felt like this."

Heejin pecked her lips. "You're so cute."

But Hyunjin didn't smile whatsoever. She kept on fixating Heejin. "I'm serious."

"Maybe it was because you haven't been with someone in a long time."

"No, Heejin. It doesn't have to do with that. It's because I didn't like them the way I like you."

There was silence, and Hyunjin feared what Heejin's answer could be.

"Don't you feel... anything different for me?" Hyunjin risked asking.

"I... I do, I just don't quite know what it is," Heejin said, her hand slightly gripping at Hyunjin's waist. "It all changed so fast, I couldn't process it all. One moment I hated you, then I could tolerate you, and suddenly, I was so attracted to you."

"Tell me about it. But I don't feel like I'm only... attracted to you. I really, really care for you, Heejin. If something happened to you that day, or if anything happens to you because of all this, because of me, I don't know what I would do."

"Hyunjin." Heejin supported herself on her elbow, cupped her cheeks and stared at her eyes. "Nothing will happen to me. And how do you think I feel whenever you say you're going out to hunt?"

Hyunjin smiled, holding her hand. "Let's always be here for each other, then."

"Aren't we already?"

"Yes."

"Also, I want to go back to training. My arm is fine now."

"You sure?"

"You said we wouldn't do anything for a week. It's been a week already."