Chapter 21

When are they arriving?" Hyunjin asked, checking the time on her phone. It was almost noon.

"Lunch time, so, I think they can arrive any time now. Don't forget to act surprised, please!" Jiwoo said.

Around fifteen minutes later, the sound of Haseul's car came into Hyunjin's earshot.

"They're here!" Jiwoo rushed to the door, opening and waiting for them to come inside. "Everyone, look who's here!" she said, using the liveliest voice she could.

Haseul stepped inside, smiling at them. "Hello, everyone."

"Haseul!" Jinsol stood up from the couch with the others. "Where's Yeo-"

Yeojin ran past Haseul, almost bumping into her, dashing to Hyunjin. She barely had time to stand up from the couch to receive the girl into the tight hug she wanted so much.

"Yeojin! Goddess, what a surprise!" Hyunjin tried to sound as surprised as she could.

Jungeun snorted, and Jiwoo almost facepalmed. Yeojin pulled away and looked up at her.

"What kind of reaction is that? You never sound that excited when you see me." She turned to Jiwoo, a deep frown on her face. "You told them we were coming, didn't you?"

"I'm sorry!" Jiwoo hid her face in her hands.

"She didn't, I just guessed. And yes, I don't react like that, but I'm in fact happy that you're here." Hyunjin pulled her closer again, patting her head. "How have you been, Yeojin?"

"Let's talk over lunch, I'm starving, and I bet you all are as well. I brought food." Haseul raised the bags in her hands.

Before settling down for lunch, Haseul and Yeojin introduced themselves to Yerim. Yeojin clicked with Yerim right away. Both girls were like balls of sunshine and huge extroverts, it was only obvious they would be great friends, even though Yeojin was a few years younger.

"How's your back?" Jinsol asked Yeojin, who sat next to her, at the head of the table, bottle in hand.

"A badass scar!" Yeojin gave her a cheeky grin, which earned her a pinch on her arm from Haseul.

"Don't joke about that!"

"But it's true! It doesn't hurt anymore, I'm fine."

A pang hurt Hyunjin's chest, like another wave of guilt piercing it. "Are things at home well?"

"Since she's always been a rebellious girl and a prankster, our parents think she settled down and is serious about school, now that she's in the last year of high school."

There was a pause.

"T-That's good, right?" Jungeun broke the awkward silence.

"Yes, it is. She's in fact been getting better grades."

"As if I was a bad student..." Yeojin mumbled.

"You weren't bad, but you weren't good either. Let's just hang on a bit more until we can move out."

"If there's any way I can help, with anything at all, tell me," Hyunjin said, and everyone focused on her.

"You already helped a lot with the blood. Yuta is a nice man, he didn't hesitate in helping us and was very friendly"

"I'm glad. But if there's anything else I can do, just ask."

Haseul sighed. "You don't need to think you have to help in any other way. What happened wasn't your fault. You don't owe us anything."

The atmosphere got suddenly heavier, at least for Hyunjin, who dropped her head and stared at the almost emptied bottle between her hands.

"Right, sorry." Hyunjin forced a smile. "I didn't want to bring the mood down, so, keep going with the conversation."