Chapter 10

Hyunjin didn't return home that night. She stayed at her training grounds, releasing all her anger, all her unknown and mixed feelings until she dropped to the bench and didn't even remember when she fell asleep.

The sun hadn't shown up in the sky yet when she woke up. Her body felt like she had been punched and kicked all night long, when in fact she was the one punching and kicking the punching bags and the training dummies.

She wondered how the others were. Did they stay the night? Without realizing it, she left all that responsibility on Jinsol. She got up on her feet and walked back home.

Hyunjin could see a body on the couch, and two on the ground through the big glass wall. Careful not to wake anyone up, she opened the door and slid inside. Heejin laid on the couch, a blanket up to her neck. Hyunjin approached, not stopping herself from observing her from up close. Heejin looked so peaceful, like the previous day had never happened, and she was dreaming of pretty night skies and big, bright full moons.

She still couldn't understand why Heejin protected her the night before. She knew she had broken the most important rule, and she was aware that she could be banished from the Silver Blades.

Before she could dwell too deep into that thought, she peeked behind the couch, to find Jungeun and Jiwoo laying down on a mattress on the floor, their bodies so close to each other under the blanket Hyunjin could swear only one person was laying down.

Jinsol was probably sleeping in her bed, but she didn't want to risk waking her up, so she walked to the kitchen instead to get a bottle of blood.

But even trying her best, and with everything going around in her mind, the same question still lingered there.

Why did Heejin do that? Didn't she hate her? Didn't she throw a fit when Jinsol told them to work together? Wasn't she disgusted, terrified when Hyunjin confessed she had drunk human blood?

"Hyunjin."

She jumped with a yelp, turning on her heels to find Heejin standing by the table.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you. Didn't you sense my scent or hear my steps or something?"

"It's okay. I was too deep in my own thoughts, so no."

"Too much on your mind?"

Hyunjin nodded, finishing the blood in the bottle before rinsing it with water to keep it clean.

"Did you manage to sleep?" Hyunjin asked.

"Not really. Where did you go last night? We were worried."

Instead of answering, Hyunjin walked past her, towards the front door.

"Where are you going?"

"To show you. Come with me."

Heejin nodded after a couple seconds and followed her outside. They walked in silence, Hyunjin occasionally peeking at Heejin, and she kept looking around.

Soon, a wooden house came in sight.

"Welcome to my training grounds," Hyunjin said as they approached it.

"Training grounds?"

Hyunjin opened the door and let Heejin step inside first, following her. Heejin took small, slow steps, her head turning in every direction, observing with her mouth agape at all the punching bags, training machines, and targets. It was like a very well-equipped, yet very sinister gym.

"Where did this come from?" Heejin asked.

"I built it."

"You what?"