Chapter 27

Her eyes felt so heavy. Still, Hyunjin forced them to open. It was dark, wherever she was, only a faint blue light reaching her field of vision. She moved... or tried to. Her arms, straightened above her head and slighty to the sides, and her legs didn't move, as if the force of several strong men kept them in place.

She remembered the dart, and a wave of panic pulsed in her body.

Where are the others? Where's Heejin? Where am I?

The questions rang in her mind, and as she still tried to move her limbs, an unpleasant metal clanging sound reached her ears. Her head jerked upwards, trying to understand what was happening, and her eyes widened when she realized why she couldn't move.

Her body was laying down on some hard surface, and four metal chains seized her ankles and wrists. Her breathing quickened, her heart rampaged, and she closed her eyes to activate them, so she could see better in the dark of the room.

But she couldn't. Maybe it was because of the panic, so she tried again. She closed them, focused on them, to feel them shift... but nothing happened.

With a stronger push of her right arm, she should be able to snap the chain apart. But instead, the chains hurt on her wrists, and the dull pain wasn't going away as fast as it used to.

Hyunjin moved her head again, this time to take a look around, now that her eyes got used to the faint light. At her right, she could make out Hyejoo's unmistakable side profile, her body also laying down on a metal stretcher and her limbs tied in chains, her eyes closed.

Hyunjin got her breath stuck on her throat, and had to fight back the vomit. Looking to the other side, she could find an extension of other stretchers just like the one she was in. Most of them were occupied with other people who seemed to be sleeping, and few of them were empty. Hyunjin's next thought was if they were all vampires as well, but there was no way she could tell. She couldn't see their eyes or fangs, and no matter how hard she tried to get her nose to work to capture their scent, it was as if she couldn't smell anything at all. All of them were chained to the stretcher, exactly the way she was.

Something ignited inside Hyunjin's body. Tears fogged her eyes, and the panic overwhelming her was so strong she was about to scream, if it wasn't for a door opening. Hyunjin went quiet the same second, forcing her body to stay frozen, and shut her eyes down, making the tears roll down her cheeks. The last thing she wanted to do at this point was call attention to herself and be hit with another one of those darts.

The steps grew louder by the second, and Hyunjin's heart thumped faster with it. Whoever it was, was coming towards her way.

Then, the steps stopped.

"Hyejoo?"

Hyunjin had to use all her might to contain the gasp and not open her eyes when she heard a voice she could have never forgotten.

"Hyejoo," Yves called again, her whisper echoing in the room. "Wake up."

Why was she there? Had she captured and chained them up? Were they really... in the Silver Blades?

Hyunjin kept her eyes shut, pretending she was still out. Hyejoo grunted, metal scraping against metal. Then, it grew much louder.

"Calm down," Yves said.

Silence engulfed the room.

"Sooyoung?" Hyejoo's voice was low and weak. "L-Let me go!"

The chains rattled as Hyejoo struggled, making Hyunjin almost flinch, but she clenched her jaw instead.

"Stop, you'll wake the others up!"

"What the fuck is going on?! Release me!"

"I can't, I'm risking everything to be here already. I just want to talk to you."