Chapter 29

His wicked laugh echoed in the walls, as if luring Hyunjin to him. As if Jinyoung actually wanted her to go after him. What other reason would he have to give her that kind of smile just before taking Heejin with him?

Hyunjin followed the sound, two levels up the emergency stairs. She stepped outside the exit door and faced both sides of the endless corridor she found herself in. Only some lights illuminated the space, a few blinked, probably damaged after the explosion, and there were no windows, just doors after doors on both sides.

"Hyunjin! Come and get me!" His voice sent chills down Hyunjin's spine, but she followed it, to her right, sprinting along the corridor, her heart drumming in her skull.

"Stop running and face me!" Hyunjin shouted, the walls dragging her voice to him.

"What would the fun be?"

The voice sounded at her left side, so Hyunjin took the next turn left, to another corridor, and more doors. Hyunjin noticed each door held a small plaque with a name. Were those the slayers' rooms?

"Faster, Hyunjin!"

Jinyoung's mocking tone was getting on Hyunjin's nerves more than anything she'd ever experienced. It gritted in her brain like claws scratching metal. She gripped her gun harder and harder, following Heejin's scent. Why couldn't she reach them?!

"Show yourself, coward!" Hyunjin hissed, her full grown fangs out her lips.

A pair of strong hands suddenly grabbed Hyunjin's arm and yanked her to her right, such force her body dragged along the floor of the unknown room, only stopping when it hit something hard as her gun flew off her hand. She choked, coughing as she struggled to get on her feet, holding onto whatever she hit, which seemed to be a couch. She was still on one knee when two sets of bulky arms coming from the goddess knew where grabbed her, pulling her up, and her breath got stuck when she faced ahead.

"Hello there, Hyunjin." Jinyoung smiled at her, his hand gripping at the collar of Heejin's jacket. "What's with the funny face? I thought you asked me to show myself."

Her vision blurred around Heejin's body. He held onto her clothes like she was a mere puppet, unconscious and unable to fight back, her knees dragging on the floor and her head dropped to one side. Hyunjin focused on her hearing. Nothing. Just a little bit more. Nothing. Once more, harder. There it was. Her heart was still beating. What should have felt like relief felt like a burst of energy propelling her whole body to jump at his neck and tear his head from his body that very second.

But she couldn't do that if she were to risk him being faster and hurting Heejin before she could get to him.

"Let her go!" Hyunjin spat, thrashing, trying to release herself from the grip on her limbs, but the two gigantic vampires kept her in place. "What the fuck do you want?!"

Jinyoung scratched his chin, eyes up at the ceiling for a few seconds. "I'm still trying to decide."

"Imma kill you, I swear to the Goddess." Hyunjin's yellow eyes stared at his emerald green ones. Beautiful, yet wicked, twisted, full of darkness.

"Oh, Hyunjin, I don't think your Goddess will help you at all. Do you think she might be able to help this one?" He smirked as his foot nudged Heejin's legs. She still wouldn't wake up.

Hyunjin flailed her arms around, but the two vampires didn't even budge. She looked at her sides, at their faces, and tried again. They laughed at her, not a sign of struggle in holding her. Raising her right leg, she kicked him wherever she could, and he gave in just a bit, hissing at the pain. Taking the opportunity, Hyunjin yanked her right arm away from his grip, but before she could even try and go for the other vampire, a hit on the back of her head sent her to the floor on her knees. Hyunjin coughed again, her vision spinning.