short story 22

Bucky's POV
I was finally alone with Y/N and before the chance was taken away from me again, I asked her.
"Doll?" I said.
"Mmh?" was all that came from her.
We're going through files for the mission.
It's quite cute how she was looking through the files in a concentrated way.

She looked up and gave me a questioning look.
"What's Buck?" She asked, confused.
"Nothing, just wanted to see how engrossed you were," I said, regretting it again.
"It didn't look like that though. So what do you want?" she asked, closing the file and setting it aside.

I thought about how to ask it.
"Can I talk to you about a boy-girl thing?"
She looked at me confused at first, but she finally nodded.
"Oh, yeah sure."

"Cool, cool, cool..." I said, getting slightly nervous.
Why do I always get nervous around her whenever we get close to this topic?
"I have this um... I have this friend."
"Okay, a guy I know?"
"No! No, you don't know him." I said, trying not to sound too nervous.

"Oh..." she looked at me closely now and made a hand gesture for me to keep talking.
"So my friend works with this girl he likes a lot... A lot!"
Y/N cleared her throat.
"Hmmm right... And your friend... What's his name?" I have a feeling she's just as uncomfortable with the conversation as I am right now.

"Oh! Steve! His name is Steve."
"Steve? Our Steve?" she asked, giving me an appraising look.
I would just disappear right now. How silly of me to take the name Steve.
"No, another one, you don't know him. After all, there's more than one Steve." I tried to get out of it again.

"Okay, and Steve likes this girl he works with?" she asked again.
"Oh yeah, she's your partner," I added.
"Oh god." she said quietly, which I didn't quite understand and looked at the files.
"What did you say?" I inquired.
"Oh nothing. Keep talking." she said, nervously playing with her hands.

"So what do you think this Steve guy is supposed to do?"
"Well..."
"Do you think he should just go to her and tell her how he feels?" I asked again.
"No. No. He absolutely should not do that." she said already frantically and stood up.
"Everything okay, doll?" I inquired, confused.
"Yeah, yeah. But he definitely shouldn't just barge in with his feelings. He should rather show it gently to her with small gestures." she said and smiled as well as nodded meanwhile.
"So just with small gestures?"
"Yes, that's how she'll love it. So him." she said laughing and taking a file.
"And now we'll get back to work." she added.

After a few hours of silence, I interrupted.
"Would you like to go out to eat with me later?" I asked her, hoping she would say yes.
She looked at me in surprise.
She nodded and started to smile.
"Yes, I'd love to, Buck." She stood up and gave me a kiss on the forehead. That made my heart dance.