The Flight

Glory woke up during the night, her wings shaking from an unknown fright. The shadows of the room seemed to jump out at her. There was a small flickering glow, like that of a dragons flame. Slowly following the light, Glory came across the sight of Deathbringer asleep with a small fire burning just off to the side. Seems that Deathbringer refused to sleep in the dark like he used to be forced to do. Making a mental note for future reference, Glory padded over to him, slipping until she was under his splayed wing.

The calming beat of his heart, the steady rise and fall of his chest, and the small light provided by the flame soothed her worry. She nestled under his wing, laying her head on his chest. Closing her eyes she fell into the easiest sleep of her life.

-----

Deathbringer woke up to find that Glory had moved under his wing through the night. His wing almost covered her curled up form. 'She is so cute when she's sleeping,' he thought with a hidden smile.

"Deathbringer, are you awake?" She asked, a small yawn escaping her snout.

"I'm awake," he replied with a yawn of his own.

"You two ready for breakfast?" Came the joyous voice of Sunny down the cave corridor.

The two walked out of the cave to meet her halfway and together, they headed to breakfast.

Glory focused on her scales as they walked, covering them in a regal blue colour with small rose-pink lines covering it, rising up like the morning flight of hummingbirds.

Together they entered the food hall, seeing only one table occupied with the rest of the Dragonets of Destiny.

"Oh, we thought you'd be up later and Sunny would have to wait. Anyway, you can sit over there." Tsunami told them, pointing to the gap near the end of the table.

The three nodded almost one after the other. The others looked at each other, confused that Glory has not snapped at Deathbringer yet for something.

Deathbringer sat next to Clay and Glory next to Sunny.

They ate their food in silence until Glory started to cough, choking on the piece of beef she was eating.

"Glory, you ok?" Deathbringer panicked.

"Yes, I am." She said weakly.

"Are you sure you're alright?" He questioned further.

"Yes, Deathbr..." She managed to say before flopping onto him.

He held her, realising she was asleep (again), he put her onto his back.

"Is she ok?" Her friends asked worriedly.

"Yes, she is fine. This is what the illness is doing to her. But it will only get worse if she does not get to the cave." He said sadly.

"Oh... Hope she gets well soon." They replied softly, looking at there talons.

"Best that we head off now. I don't want to prolong it any longer or give a risk of others catching it," he said solemnly.

He started to walk down the hallway when he passed Jade Winglet caves he could not help but feel that someone was watching them. He ignored it, not wanting to wake Glory up.

'Is that Glory on Deathbringer's back. This can't be happening, my ship it has finally set sail!' A dragon in the shadows thought before fainting.

Deathbringer flew for a couple of hours before Glory finally started to wake up.

"Deathbringer where are we?" She asked, starting to stand. She was oblivious to the fact that she was on a flying dragon's back. Glory got to her knees only to fall of Deathbringer, knocking the both of them from flight

"Glory!?" Deathbringer shouted, scared as he steadied himself.

"Help! I can't fly!" Glory panicked as she fruitlessly flapped her wings. She tried flapping them again, stretching them out before her eyes rolled into the back of her head and she fell into unconsciousness.

Deathbringer collapsed his wings, falling into a fast dive. They fell until Glory was about to hit the treeline when Deathbringer suddenly put on a burst of speed. He reached out to grab her, his talons just brushing her.

Falling past the treeline, branches snapping as the dragons fell into them.

It went silent no noise was heard, they didn't emerge even when a loud crash was heard and a dust cloud exploded into the air.

He flew straight up, emerging from the dust, pounding his wings to gain height. His face showing no emotion, he glanced down at his talons. He sighed, seeing the unconscious Glory laying once again his arms.

'It's got worse, that's the second time today. She needs to get better soon, she has too, I can't live without her. She can't go like my mother...' Deathbringer thought tears threatening to fall, 'my heart is breaking at the sight of her being so unwell.'

He flew on for another thirty minutes before he had to take a break. His wings collapsing the moment he touched down on the grassy meadow.

He laid down, resting Glory down, drifting off to sleep with Glory laying next to him, his body sheltering her from the harsh cold winds.

Glory woke up, seeing the sky alight with stars, what was more surprising was that Deathbringer was still asleep. 'Protecting me, I know it's his job but he chose that of his own free will, this of his own free will. He is choosing me over himself, his freedom, his life. He is "the dragon of the night,'' yet not awake,' she thought, shocked.

She decided to let him sleep as she went off searching for food. She decided that he was to have the selection of at least two cows, three roasted fish and one - no - two tons of fruit. She collected the food and three added coconuts.

- She had some leftover coconut shells so she filled them to the brim with fresh running stream water. -

When she got back with the last of the food, she saw Deathbringer awake, panicking. Her eyes went wide as he saw him frantically looking and smelling around.

"GLORY, GLORY! WHERE ARE YOU?!" He bellowed, hoping that she could hear him.

"Over here," she called out, bringing her presence to his attention.

He looked over at her, visually calming down. Relief flooding through his scales. "Glory where were you? I looked all over for you." He asked worriedly.

She walked next to him dropping the fish next to the fire that was going. "I decided that you needed more sleep and, as a thank you, I got you a buffet of food," Glory said, looking down, feeling bad for letting him wake up to find that she was not next to him.

"Oh ok, you didn't need to," Deathbringer said, his voice calming down both himself and Glory. "Glory, you did nothing wrong. It just gave me a fright that's all. Really, it was my fault for not believing in you." He looked down refusing to meet her eye.

"No! It's not your fault Deathbringer. It's never your fault and never will be! " Glory yelled, shocking herself with her outcry, "you should never feel like that. Because it would never be true."

The pair of dragons slowly ate, sitting around the fire. When their stomachs were full, the pair started to drift off to sleep again. Glory's head rested beneath Deathbringer's. The sound of his calming heartbeat drifting her towards a blissful and peaceful sleep.