Chapter Eight

NICK cleared his throat. "Don't you think it is high time to talk of remarrying?"

"At si Bettina ang naisip mong pakakasalan?"

Nick shrugged. "She comes to mind."

"She's older than Mommy!" she snapped. "I have respect for Mrs. Blanco's loyalty and efficiency, Daddy. Pero iyon lang iyon. She willnever take my mother's place in your heart and you will not give your name to another woman!" There were tears in Drew's voice but she refused to shed them.

"What do you have against Bettina, hija?"

"Nothing, Daddy." Kumalma nang bahagya ang anyo nito at nagbaba ng tinig. "She's perfect. Politically or otherwise. Statuesque and handsome. Very efficient. Efficient enough para matukso kang i-maintain siya," she said with obvious sarcasm that Nick almost laugh rather than be angry at his daughter. "And she has always been very loyal to Franco, to you, and to the company..." 

"I can hear the 'but,' sweetheart."

Muling tumigas ang mukha ni Drew. "Give her an award, Daddy! A plaque as huge as Texas but don't give your name to her!"

Nick gasped at the vehemence in his daughter's voice.

"My god, years ago, you gave me the scare of my life when I thought you would marry Veron!"

Nick was doubly surprised. "You thought I'd marry your mother's best friend?"

"Lagi siyang nasa bahay natin, hindi ba? Nahuli ko pa kayong minsang magkayakap. Sa hotel, kapag nagtutungo ako ay parati ko siyang nakikita sa opisina mo. I might be a child at thattime, Daddy, but I am not stupid. And I hate Veron!"

"But why? During those times ay kinokonsola namin ang isa't isa. Hindi na lumabis pa roon."

Tinitigan siya ni Drew na para bang hindi ito naniniwalang hindi niya nakatalik ang head ng Human Resources ng Monica Hotel.

"I hate Veron because she was too bold and blatant of her feelings for you. Walang pakundangan. She took advantage of your pain and misery and literally offered herself. Her best friend's husband, oh, god!" She shivered dramatically. "And she even had the nerve to come to our house. Hindi man lang naghintay ng taon upang ipakita ang damdamin niya sa iyo. Unlike Bettina who had been decent enough to let you grieve for your wife."

"Drew, listen. You saw us from the eyes of a seven-year-old kid. There was nothing between me and Veron. Paniwalaan mo iyan."

"Whatever! Anyway, back to Bettina. Don't marry her. You don't love her!" She spat the words.

"And how do you know that? Ako ang nakaka-ramdam."

Ang kaseryosuhan sa tinig ng anak ay nahalinhan ng mapait na tawa. "Take it from me, Dad. Hindi mo tinititigan si Mrs. Blanco sa paraan kung paano titigan ni Lolo Franco si LolaBeatriz magpasahanggang ngayon. As if Lola Beatriz was the sun, the moon, and the stars for Lolo Franco. Just like James to Chantal, and Renz to Shannon——"

Nick gave a bark of laughter. "You hated Veron all this time because you thought she was trying to take your mother's place and I don't even have feelings for her then other than friendship. And now—"

"Thank God you weren't snared or I would have hated you forever, Daddy," putol nito sa sinasabi niya. "And I know Mrs. Blanco is only an occasional pillow companion for you. You don't even spend a night in her house."

"You wouldn't know that."

"Oh, I would. You see, Daddy, mula nang... nang..." Nick sensed that her daughter couldn't afford to say the words "magmula nang mamatay" "...mawala si Mommy, ay magkasama na tayong dalawa.