Five

After the discussion ends I quickly run back to the couch and pretend that I'm still sleeping. I pretend to wake up once they all walk into the living room. "I'm sorry did we wake you?" Rick asks me, I shake my head as I sit up and stretch. "Did you all sleep ok?" I ask making everyone nod, "best sleep I've had in a while." Glenn says sending me a warm smile from across the room, I hadn't had much chance to speak to him yet but I liked him.

"So we were talking and we were wondering if you've made up your mind, on wether you want to join us." Rick says making me sit up straighter. I look around the room at everyone's faces, glenn sends me a thumbs up whilst the rest give me reassuring looks and nods. "Um yeah, I would like that."

I hear Shane scoff from behind me but I just ignore him. "Alright, now we can stay here for another few nights but after that we gotta get moving." Rick instructs us. "Shall we spend the rest of the day loading up all the things we wanna take?" I ask thinking about all the food downstairs. "Great idea." Rick says shooting Shane a look. Shane scoffs again and stomps off, "is he okay?" I ask Rick who simply nods.

"Wow." Glenn and Rick had come down to the supply closet with me, and they were awestruck by the amount of supplies they were seeing before them. "Yeah well he had ten years of hoarding ahead of everyone else." I hum, even before me, he was a real survival nut.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

I'm exhausted by the time we finish up. We spent a good amount of time stocking up on mostly food that we wanted to take with, we had few first aid kits and so on.

"I am tired." I huff as I plop down onto the couch beside Carl and Sophia who giggle at me. "I thought you were supposed to be an athlete." He teases making me roll my eyes, "easy to say when you didn't do much." Sophia laughs loudly and Carl gasps in offence. "I helped!" I join in the laughter, "I was just teasing, besides I could still smoke you in a race anytime."

"Oh yeah? I'd like to see you try."  I turn to the kid and raise my brow, "that sounds like a challenge to me." He nods, "it is. Let's race." He's excited, "I'm all for racing you but you gotta ask your parents." I tell them, both kids run outside to where majority of the others are.

"My dad said I could! He said the street is empty so it's ok." Carl exclaims running back inside, "alright then come on kid." I respond jumping out of my seat and following him out the door. "My mom said I can race too!" Sophia tells us, "awesome! We won't go far, just down to that house and back ok?" Both kids nod, "hey Carl you sure you wanna do this? Selene said she was a pro." Rick calls out as the three of us line up. "I can take her." Carl says confidently making me laugh.

"Ok before we go, we gotta stretch so that we don't pull any muscles or anything." I smile as they copy me, actually excited to run again. I used to stretch everyday and walk circles in the basement but I hadn't run in forever, I could probably beat the kids but I'd let them win today. That's what my mom and dad always used to do for me and Aelia.

"Ok one, two-"

"You can't countdown that's cheating." Carl protests making me laugh, I look over my shoulder and see Daryl getting out of the RV, "Daryl, come here." He complies as I wave him over. "What?"  He questions, "we're gonna race, can you do the countdown for us please?" He looks at me in disbelief for a second. "I ain't go-"

"Please?" He sighs and grumbles to himself before nodding at me. "Thanks." I beam making him roll his eyes. "Yeah yeah whatever." I crouch down into my starting position laughing when the kids copy me. "Three, two, one, go." I let the kids take off before me, "I said go." Daryl says from beside me. "I know, I'm giving them a head start."

Once I do push off, I keep my pace at a medium pace so that I'd catch up to Carl and Sophia but wouldn't overtake them. "We're beating her Sophia!" Carl shouts out joyfully, I grin to myself happy at how excited they were and at the fact I was running again. I hadn't even realised how much I'd truly missed running.

My eyes widen once I spot a walker, emerging from the side of the house that Carl and Sophia were almost at. Increasing my speed I quickly overtake the two and tackle the walker to the ground. Daryl and Rick had told me to truly kill them, you had to get the brain so I grab a shard, from a wooden fence, that lay nearby and drive it into the walkers skull.

I get up and turn back to see the others had also run over ready to help. "You guys ok?" I ask Carl and Sophia who look at me wide eyed, they both hug me taking me by surprise. They thank me for saving them but I shake my head and tell them it was nothing.

"You're really fast," Carl notes once we all get back in the house. "I did tell you." I shrug, "you were letting us win weren't you?" I gasp in disbelief, "I would never do such a thing." He laughs at my over the top defence, "you definitely would've won the gold." He says making me smile, "thanks kid."

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

"Thank you for what you did for our kids." Lori and Carol say later in the evening once were all sat in the living room again, the kids fast asleep. "Oh honestly it was nothing." I tell the two, "you saved our son." Rick interjects, "we can't repay you enough for that." I shake my head, "you guys are doing plenty for me."

"The way you tackled that geek was badass." Glenn adds, "I don't think most of us would've been brave enough to do that." Dale adds, all the attention and praise makes me blush slightly not used to the attention. "I don't know what to say, I didn't really think I just saw it and how close the kids were and my legs just took over." I shrug.

"Well we're mighty lucky to have you with us."