Seven

Sophia and I stay lost for around ten days, at least that's what I count. We walk a lot and get by on what I already had and whatever we could find. We do manage to find various places to crash, I always make sure she sleeps whilst I stay awake most nights. But it's around the tenth day I start to give up.

"I'm so sorry Sophia, I have no idea where we're going or how to get back. I just keep getting us lost and I don't know if I'm gonna be able to get us back." I can't help but cry making her frown, "it's ok Selene, you've kept me safe all this time. I know that we're going to make it back I know you can get us to the others safely." She assures me hugging me tightly as she wipes my eyes.

I nod and wipe at my eyes too, "you're right, we can't give up. We are gonna make it back, I'll make sure of it no matter what okay? I'm not gonna stop until you're back with your mom." I assure her as I stand up and brush myself off. I was a survivor and I could survive this.

"Alright let's go."

We walk around for a while until we hear what sounds like a horse, "did you hear that?" I ask Sophia who nods. We follow the general direction of the sound, I'm sure not accurately but we end up near a little creek. One we'd been by before. There's two dead walkers in it and then tracks leading away. I have hope that it's someone from our group but if not then maybe it'd be someone who could help us.

We follow the tracks to find what looks like a walker, all dirty and walking oddly. I get a bit closer, ready with the spear I'd sharpened for myself. It heats my footsteps and turns crossbow ready, it's not a walker. It's Daryl! "Daryl?"

"Selene?" I let out a laugh and drop my spear as he lowers the crossbow, "we have got to stop meeting like this." I joke before I see the state of him.  "What happened to you?" I question as I gesture Sophia to come over. She grabs my hand as she looks at Daryl in fear. "It's fine it's just Daryl."

"So what happened?" I ask as he stares at me, "are you really here?" What was with his weird questions. "Yes? Are you ok?" He nods, "stupid horse." He grumbles, I leave it at that and nod. "Alright let's get you guys home." 

I step forwards and help hold him up but he tries to move away, "I don't need your help." He tells me but I shake my head, "shut up and let me help you." I say as I pull his arm around my shoulder and I hold him up.

Daryl leads us back to the farm as he briefly explains the situation. "It's nice." I hum as we get there, "Selene I'm really tired." Sophia complains making Daryl shrug me off, "I'm fine help her." I nod and let him go ahead as we stop. "We're so close now, we just need to walk a little more and then you can see you mom and Carl and everyone else." I tell her as I give her the last of my water.

"Now come on, you're a strong girl. We just have to cross this field." We both still when we hear a shot and I creep forward and see that Daryl had gone down. I run forwards as Rick is shouting no and they help him up. "What happened?" They all turn to me in shock. "Selene?"

"He found you?" I nod, "well more like we found him." I say as they look to Sophia who was behind me. "You're both okay?" I nod, "we're fine." Sophia nods too and they all beam at us. "Ain't no way you both survived out there." Shane mumbles but we all hear him, "Selene kept me safe." Sophia protests as I glare at him.

"We can talk about this later, Daryl needs help." I say seeing the state of Daryl as Andrea and Dale come running over. "Oh, my God, is he dead?" She cries as she catches up. "Unconscious.You just grazed him." So she's the one who shot him.

"But look at him. What the hell happened? He's wearing ears." Glenn cries out turning to me, "I don't know we found him like that." It's then Dale and Andrea notice us, "oh my god you're back." I nod as Rick pulls the ears from around Daryl's neck and says we should keep it to ourselves.

"Sophia!" Carol shouts as she sees her daughter as we near. "Mom!" She drops my hand and runs forward the two of them meeting in the middle, Carol engulfs her daughter in a hug, she drops down crying. Lori approaches me and hugs me. "It's so good to see you again." I reciprocate the hug but don't say anything. Carol is next she hugs me painfully tight, "thank you for looking after my baby." She cries as I nod, "it's alright," I say pulling away. "She's tough like her mom."

"Come on let's get you inside and cleaned up." They say to us. "Hershel is a doctor so he can check you over once he's done with Daryl." They explain.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

A shower later and I feel brand new, I look different too, I hadn't seen myself in such a state in a long time. Most of my bruises had either faded or begun to fade, my split lip was fine, my black eye a shade of green but other than that you could actually see most of my skin the colour it was supposed to be again. The only thing that remained were the scars but I didn't linger on those. I didn't need the reminders, not right now.

"Who knew that you were hot under all that?" My eyes narrow at Shane as I leave the bathroom and see him stood there. "Sorry I meant to say you're looking better." I nod. "Look I just wanted to say we got off on the wrong foot, I'm glad you made it back with the little girl." He continues, "ok...I'm gonna go and find Hershel now." He nods, "he's with Daryl." He tells me before pointing out the room.

"Thanks."