Twenty Six

Carl let's me go as Daryl crouches in front of Rick who is unresponsive. "Rick, you with me? Rick?" He doesn't get so much as a blink in response.

Sophia walks back over to me and wraps her arms around my waist, holding me as she continues to sniffle and Maggie hands Carl the baby.

"Let me see the baby." Hershel says calling Carl over. "We got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl asks walking away from Rick. "The good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula. And soon, or she won't survive."

"No." Daryl says immediately. "No way. Not her. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run." He looks at me, at Sophia clinging to me and then to Carl before shaking his head at me, telling me I should stay here. I nod already thinking I'd be best staying behind.

"I'll back you up." Maggie says straight away prompting Glenn to follow in suit. "Okay, think where we're going." Daryl says before pulling Beth to the side.

They're about to leave when Rick suddenly stands grabbing the axe and running up the stairs. "Rick." Maggie calls trying to stop him, it falls on deaf ears and he's gone before anyone can say or do anything. Carl meets my eye, he looks worried. "He'll be okay kid." I assure him making him nod even though he doesn't look convinced.

The two prisoners go to keep a pile up from happening at that fence, Glenn returns saying only Daryl and Maggie could go for the run cause they couldn't take a car that route.

"Alright come on kids, we should head back inside." I tell the two who were by me. Hershel nods in agreement and so the rest of us venture on back to the cell block. "Carl take care of your sister okay?" I say as I take lead and take my knife out, just in case.

We get back to the cell block fine, everyone kinda just sits in silence as we take in the events from the day. "Do you think my mom could be out there?" Sophia asks coming to sit beside me. "I never saw your mom go down, if she's out there we'll find her." I assure the young girl who nods and rests her head on my shoulder.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

It's been quite a while and we're still waiting for Maggie and Daryl to get back with the formula, I'm starting to get worried. I try and keep my mind off it and start getting everyone something to eat when the baby starts crying. My whole body goes still as I stare down at the food, that night popping into my mind.

Hershel notices my reaction and comes over as he tells Beth to take over. "Come on Selene, come sit down." I do what he says as I try and steady my heart that has become erratic. "Selene?" I snap out of my mind and turn to Carl, he asks if I want to hold the baby, I think his arms were getting tired and so he passes her over to me.

I sit and try to soothe the baby as best I can but it's no use because she's hungry. "It's gonna be okay sweetheart, food is on the way." I tell her softly hoping that I was right and that they'd walk through the door at any second. I feel overwhelmed, this was my first time holding a baby after the loss of mine and her cries were echoing, with my Layla's, in my mind right now.

I continue whispering words of comfort to the baby as we wait and thankfully Maggie and Daryl make it back. He comes over to us straight away, crouches down ready to take her from my hands, I pass her over gently noticing the concerned look he was giving me. I ignore it and turn away from him as he stands and takes over comforting her as the others make her milk. I can't take the crying and seeing as I'm not needed anymore I get up and leave.

It doesn't take me long till I've calmed myself down and so I do return to the others, to see Carl listing out all the names of people they'd lost as potential baby names. He shrugs after saying his moms name, seeming frustrated so I reach out and put my hand on his shoulder, I squeeze it lightly trying to provide him with a bit of comfort before turning to Daryl.