Thirty Nine

The next morning Rick takes Carl and Michonne on a run with him, he was taking Michonne to get a better idea on whether we could trust her or not. Having limited conversations with the woman I didn't know much, it took me a while to warm up to someone but from what I'd seen so far I did trust her. Anytime I'd meet someone new I'd always get a feeling about them, good or bad the feeling was mostly always right.

"Hey." I smile at Daryl as he comes to stand beside me, "morning." He nods his head at me, last night we decided to take things slow, to just be with each other no labels, no pressure and no telling anyone else. Not yet at least.

"Selene." The two of us follow the sound of my name to Sophia who was approaching, "what're you talking about?" She questions looking between Daryl and I with a rather insinuating smile. "Nothing." I shrug, "is this more grown up stuff that Carl and I aren't allowed to know?" I shake my head at her words as Daryl turns to me questioningly. "No, we were just saying good morning to each other." I don't know what Carl and Sophia's sudden interest in Daryl and I was, I wasn't sure that I wanted to find out though.

"Why does it feel like she knows?" I whisper to Daryl as she walks over to her mom. "She doesn't know." He assures me, the two of us then turn to see her whisper something to Carol. Carol turns to us with a smirk on her face. "Maybe she knows." He shrugs before we walk off in opposition directions.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

I end up on watch outside which surprises nobody, being on watch was a part of my daily routine now. If I wasn't with Judith, I would be outside.

"Hey." Daryl has come to join me, he has some food with him. "Hi." I smile as he stops beside me. "I got you some food, I didn't see you eat before." He tells me holding it out to me. "I'm not hungry, I did eat." He gives me a hard look, "no you didn't." I run my tongue against the inside of my cheek as I don't know what to reply.

"Nah you didn't, you ain't been eating much the past few days ." I didn't realise he'd noticed, our rations had been running low recently. I knew that I could handle taking less than everyone else so I didn't mind eating less. "Eat." He growls pushing the food into my hands. "I... okay." I almost try to disagree but I know that he wouldn't let it go until I gave in.

"Happy?" I ask handing him the empty plate after shoving my face in what's probably the most unappetising and unattractive manner possible. It's a wonder if Daryl is still interested in me at all. Surprisingly he doesn't seem put off, his eyes shine with what seems to be amusement as his lips quirk. "Very." He replies, "you ain't gonna have any energy if you don't eat." He adds making me nod, "okay, I'll keep on top of it." He looks me up and down before he nods. "So will I."

I keep my sigh in but it seems he noticed that I'm not pleased by that. "What you got against eating?" I shake my head as he chews on his lip whilst he watches me. "Nothing, I just don't get that hungry." I shrug. His hard eyes tell me that he doesn't believe me, "I just know I can go longer without food so I don't see why I should waste it when the others need it more."

"You need it just as much as the rest of us." He tells me surely but somewhat softly, "you don't gotta live like that anymore." I can't identify the look in his eye as he steps forward, his arm extends but he hesitates before he does put his hand on my arm. "You listening? You ain't gonna go hungry if you don't have to, we don't work like that. Everyone eats whatever we have. You eat your share and if you're still hungry, you take mine." His thumb rubs my arm as he speaks, "alright, I genuinely don't get that hungry so I probably won't be taking your share but thank you."

He nods and lets me go taking a step backwards. "I'm gonna go check on Merle." I nod at him and glance back out across the prison. I watch him from the corner of my eye as he walks away, he hesitates and turns around twice before I see him walk back in my direction. I turn to face him as he approaches, biting on the inside of my cheek as he looks so exasperated and confused before he grabs my face and kisses my face, just above my eyebrow. I giggle as he lets me go and takes a step away with a satisfied nod, I grab his hand and pull him back to me, leaning up so I can press a kiss to his lips. He smiles against my lips and so I pull away and copy his earlier actions. "Alright go and check on your brother." I tell him, giving a satisfied nod of my own.

"Don't stay out here too long."

"I'll be in soon."

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

"Why's Daryl in such a good mood?" Glenn had come to take over my position. "I don't know, I've been out here all day." I shrug unsure as to why I always seemed to be asked about Daryl's moods. "Yeah, it was after he came to check on you actually, did something else happen?" I shake my head smiling at my nosy best friend. "Nah, maybe he's just happy his brother is back?" Glenn shakes his head at my idea, "it's not that, are you hiding something? C'mon Selene I'm your favourite person here, we don't hide things from each other."

"When did I say that you were my favourite person here?" I ask through laughter, "um we all know that I am or has Daryl replaced me already?" Daryl was always my favourite I think, he and Rick were the two I warmed to the quickest and I'd always felt safe around Daryl. I did really like Glenn though and he was probably the easiest person to speak to, he and Maggie were probably the ones I spent most time with.

"I'm not answering that, I don't have favourites." He scoffs, "are you hiding something from me?" I shake my head. "You're such a bad liar!" I gape at him, "I am not." I'm sorry but I was an exceptional liar. "You have a tell." My brows furrow. "I do?" He nods and looks to my arm that I hadn't realised I'd been scratching. "You scratch your left arm." I feel oddly comforted by his noticing of this tell.

Glenn is definitely surprised once I suddenly hug him, "you okay?" He asks not hesitating in holding me back. "You're my best friend Glenn Rhee." I mumble, he lets out a relived breath and I can hear his smile in his words, "and you're mine."

"So does this mean you're gonna tell me what you're hiding?" I laugh and shake my head, "not today." I most definitely do want to tell him, it's just Daryl and I agreed not to say anything yet and I don't know that Glenn is the best keeper of secrets so he would have to wait.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

I roll my eyes once I get back inside and see Merle, he'd whistled at me but I didn't pay him any mind not until he opened his stupid mouth. "Hey pretty lady how's about you come over here and get to know me a lil better." Carol shoots me a look from her seat at her table but I shake my head at her letting her know I was fine.

"I know everything I need to know about you." I tell him, sparing him the slightest of glances. "Oh yeah? Your sister tell you all that?" I bite down on my tongue as to not let him get underneath my skin, I knew that's what he wanted. "Don't worry you got me all to yourself here, the night I spent with your sister is gonna be hard for you to-" I don't care about keeping myself calm and in one swift movement I've unsheathed my knife and am holding the blade against Merles throat. "You were saying?" He raises his hand, "come on girl, I was just kidding around." 

"Don't speak to me like that ever again, don't talk about my sister either, I mean it, you piss me off again and I don't care who's brother you are I'll cut your vocal chords out myself." I add a little pressure to the blade, not enough to draw blood or anything. "Your small dick will be next." I add, "oh yeah, my sister told me all that." I wink as he scoffs.

He then spots something from over my shoulder, "man you gonna do something?" I glance back to see he was asking Daryl for help, I never noticed that Daryl had joined us. He has a smirk on his face as glances between us and he shakes his head, "nah, you heard her." With that I release Merle and back away from him with a smirk of my own. "Till next time." I hum using my knife to to salute at him before I go in search of Judith.