Thirty Eight

All of us had ventured out into the yard to see Andrea and my sister off. We were all stood around waiting for Glenn to return with a car for them.

"Hey we'll see each other soon, I promise, even if I have to sneak into Woodbury." I reassure my sister as I notice her eyes start to fill with tears. She nods and throws her arms around me tightly. Her grip hurts me but I don't say anything, I understand exactly how she feels, I never want to let go of her.

She pulls away when Glenn returns with the car, tears all over her face. I wipe them for her, "I'm not going to lose you again." I promise, she simply nods again her voice to weak to speak and squeezes me once more before she climbs into the car. I glance at Andrea and she gives me a nod, like she could read my mind and knew what I was about to ask of her. "I'll look after her." I give her a thankful smile and give her a hug too. "It was great to see you again, you stay safe too okay?"

I step back once she's in the car and keep myself together, I wanted jump in and go with them to see my mom but I didn't. I waited all this time, I could wait a little longer. My thoughts are disrupted when I feel a hand in mine. I look to see Carl had come to stand beside me. He gives my hand a reassuring squeeze, it brings a smile to my face and so I knock his hat affectionately making him smile up at me.

"Thanks for staying." His voice is faint but I hear it, "I'd never leave you guys." I tell him honestly, I loved everyone here but the thought of leaving Carl and Sophia, that really did influence my decision to stay.

Lia waves at me as Andrea drives them off and I feel my heart churn the further away she gets. Carl squeezes my hand once more making me feel a bit better but only for a fleeting second. I stay planted on the ground until the car fades out of view and then I turn around and walk back inside before anyone can say anything to me.

I don't want to talk about it.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

"Hey." I turn over in my bunk to see Daryl at the doorway of my cell, "hi." I mumble sitting up, he takes that as his invitation to enter and settles on the stool across from me. "You okay?" I nod at his question as I run my hand through my hair. "I'm fine." He doesn't look convinced but I don't know what he wants me to say.

"You sure?" For someone who didn't like to talk about feelings himself, I didn't get why he was so insistent on getting me to speak about mine. He probably wouldn't even know how to comfort me.

"Yeah, I'll see her again, after we deal with the Governor." I believe what I'm saying, there was no way I would let them go, not when I was so close to getting them back. "Why didn't you go?" I just look at him and the genuine confusion on his face before I answer.

"I couldn't, I can't go there and live with him, not after what he's done. Plus I couldn't leave you guys behind. Even if I hate it here, it's where I belong, with everyone else." He still looks a bit confused, "but your sister?"

"She loves him." I start, "the two of us, we feel the same way but not about the same people. She sees him as a father figure, if I went there, I would kill him and I could lose her forever, if I was to be the one that killed him, I don't know that she'd ever forgive me." He nods in understanding now.

He opens his mouth to say something but then closes it promptly. I look at him expectantly for a few moments, was he going to say anything?

"Well uh I'm glad you're still here." My heart flutters as I begin to smile at his words, he looks away from me a light pink dusting his cheeks as his hand finds the back of his neck.

"Y'know cause Carl and Sophia would really miss you." He adds seeming to grow more nervous as the pink on his cheeks deepens slightly. "Just Sophia and Carl?" I ask him a slight teasing undertone to my words. My smirk widens as his cheeks deepen to an even darker shade of pink. "Nah...I would too." My smirk grows into a genuine smile as I take in the nervous man before me. "I'd miss you too Daryl." His eyes find mine and he smiles back at me softly.