Ten

My two days go by plenty fast as almost everyone takes it in turns to keep me company. But now I could leave that godforsaken room, starting at the walls for any longer would drive me crazy.

"You're allowed to roam around like promised but nothing strenuous okay?" Hershel asks as I find his family at the kitchen table, "you got it." I salute making him chuckle. "I didn't recognise you at first, but once I did I've been waiting for the right time to tell you this." Hershel says suddenly confusing me.

"We saw you in the news ten years back." He tells me making me shift on my feet awkwardly. "You look so different from back then, but your daddy he came around. He drove everywhere looking for any sign of you." I feel a lump in my throat as I look down. "He was a good man, told us all about you and asked us to call if we ever saw you." The thought of my family was too painful right now.

"I'm not trying to upset you dear," Hershel says as he pulls something out of one of the draws and hands it to me, "it's just he left us with this picture, I thought you may like it." My blinking can't hold the tears back anymore as I lay eyes on the picture. It was me, with my family, I'm circled but I can see the others just fine. "Thank you, so so much." I whisper not taking my eyes off the picture, not even for a second.

I need to leave this house, is all I can think as I stare down at my family's smiling faces. I go outside but not to the others I just sit by myself in the grassy field. My fingers weave through the grass as I sit and ponder. I wonder how long he looked for me, how long it took him to realise he couldn't find me. I wonder how they'd been doing up until the outbreak.

I can't stop staring at the picture because now I can actually remember what they looked like, well my parents at least. A bit of my sisters face was covered with the inky circle that isolated me. "You okay?" It's Glenn, I nod but he sits by me anyways. "Are you crying because you're upset or in pain or-"

"I don't know, I think a mixture of being sad and happy." He nods, "Hershel told me that he'd met my dad before, he came searching for me. Left them with this picture incase they ever saw me." I explain showing him the picture. "This is your family?" I nod and allow him to take it from me. "You look like your mom." I smile at him as he hands it back. "She always used to say I looked like my dad." 

"I know I shouldn't be crying like this, I came to terms with the fact I lost my family years ago but I can't believe that I forgot what they looked like." Glenn nods, "I don't have any pictures of my family, I'm scared for the day I don't remember them anymore." I frown for him, "you may forget what they look like but you'll never forget them. You just have to remind yourself you know? If you ever wanna talk about your family I'm here to listen." He squeezes my arm thankfully before he stands up.

"Have you eaten today?" He asks making me shake my head, "come on everyone else is having breakfast." He says holding his hand out to help me up. "I'm having a bit of a problem right now." He tells me making me nod, "what's up?" He glances towards the barn and then back to me.

"I found something out, and I know I should tell the others but Maggie asked me not to." He says, "well what did you find out?" He gives me a look like he can't tell me, "come on I can't tell you wether it's safe to keep if you don't tell me what it is." He sighs and gives in.

"There's walkers in the barn." My eyes widen, "damn, yeah don't keep that a secret from the others." I shrug, "look I know Shane will probably rip the doors from the barn and massacre the walkers himself. Which is not what I'm advocating for, but the others have a right to know that we're living so close to a bunch of walkers." He sighs, "I know, Maggie is gonna be so pissed at me." I smirk and give him a look, "why do you care so much about what Maggie thinks of you? Has someone got a little crush?" He blushes but doesn't deny it. "Aww cute,"

"Shut up." He mumbles lamely making me laugh as we begin to approach the others. We both grab a plate of food and settle with the others, "Selene I was thinking about your fear of chickens." Carl starts as I sit beside him. "Oh yeah?" I ask, shooting Daryl a look as I hear his chuckle. "Yeah, I was thinking we could go see them today, to help you get over your fear." I shake my head but Carl looks to Sophia, it's seems they'd planned for this.

"Carl I don't think I'll be getting over that fear." It's his turn to shake his head, "they're not scary are they Sophia?" She chimes in too about how friendly the chickens on the farm were and how I must've just met a bad one. "Alright." I give in making the kids beam, "we'll go to the chickens today."

"This I can't wait to see." Daryl snickers making me shoot him another look. "If I see you near there I will throw a chicken at your head." He snorts as the others laugh too.

Once we settle back down I notice Glenn looking around nervously, he catches my eye and I nod at him telling him to go ahead and tell everyone.

"Um guys." He stands up awkwardly getting everyone's attention.

"So... the barns full of walkers."