Forty Four

I sit and let my worry consume me, for my sister and for Daryl. Rick was back already, he told me that he took her as far as he could and not to worry but I couldn't help it. I wouldn't know if she was okay for days. Plus Daryl wasn't back yet, Michonne said Merle let her go so something had to have happened to be keeping them back like this. They hadn't left again had they?

I stay outside waiting for any sign of them, of him. Thankfully he returns soon after and I can begin to relax. Something definitely did happened because he's alone, his shoulders hunched as though he were carrying the weight of the world and his head was hung low. Something happened to his brother.

He seems to relax at seeing me but I see the pain that's plastered all over his face and don't waste anytime in embracing him. "Oh Daryl I'm so sorry." I mumble as he holds me tightly, he doesn't say anything but I hear light sniffles. We stay stood outside for awhile, him wrapped up in my embrace as I just held him, not saying anything but letting him know that I was there for him.

Sure I hated his brother, it didn't mean I wasn't empathetic to his loss. Besides he told me that his brother had ended up making a sacrifice for us, it was probably for Daryl but it just proved that maybe he was capable of being a good person after all. Maybe he could've lived with us as a proper member of the group.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

The next morning Daryl doesn't mention Merle, he doesn't mention last night and tried to act like everything is all okay. We're much to busy planning our counter attack to the governors plan to be caught up in our feelings anyways.

The vote had ended in majority of us deciding to stay and fight and thanks to the information my sister had given us we had a real good shot at this. I wasn't trying to get my hopes up but there was the possibility that I could see my mom tomorrow and it was hard not be to excited about that.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

Today was the day. I could be seeing my mom later, right now though we were packing our stuff up to mislead the Governor into thinking that we'd fled.

I'm outside putting my bag in the trunk as everyone else was putting their stuff away too. I watch as Carl makes his way over, shrugging his father off aggressively once he'd tried to get his attention. Carl had been really mad at Rick especially after the whole Michonne situation. Rick gives me a bit of a pleading look as Carl joins my side.

"You worried about all this?" I ask Carl who looks up at me and shakes his head. "You sure? It's okay if you are Carl, I am." He looks at me with the anger still on his face, "yeah well I'm not." He says with that same attitude. I don't take it personally, he was just a kid and he'd gone through a lot in such a short while.

"I wish I was as brave as you, you're still the toughest kid I've ever met." His face softens at that, "you be careful out there okay? I know you'll keep everyone safe but keep yourself safe too." I instruct, Carl would be hiding out in the trees with Beth, Hershel, Sophia and Judith.

"You too." He says in a gentler tone now, "you got it." I say before knocking his hat gently, he smiles at the action and smile back at him before I begin to make my way back inside. I pass by Rick who gives me a thankful nod having watched the entire interaction.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

Our plan works, we leave the Governor and his people fleeing from the prison. "We did it. We drove them out." Rick says as we meet back up at the front. "We should go after them." Michonne says Daryl nodding along with her. "We should finish it."