Forty Nine

"You comin on the run today?" I shake my head at Daryl's question, not wanting to get out of bed today. "You sure? You know you're the only person I like comin with me." I crack a smile. "I know but I'm tired today."

"You sure you're okay?"

"What are you tryna say that I look bad?" He shakes his head immediately making me giggle. "Nah you look fine." I gasp over dramatically, "just fine?" He tries to keep his smile back but he fails. "You know you're always beautiful, you don't need me telling you that." Who knew that Daryl had such a way with words?

"Alright you gotta get going, don't want to deprave all of your adoring fans their morning Daryl sighting." He scoffs at my words, his cheeks beginning to flush as he thinks about all the attention he'd been getting recently. "You know you love it really." I loved teasing him about this, he claimed he hated the attention but I know he secretly enjoyed some of it at least.

"Make sure you get outta bed to at least eat." I nod at his instruction and then he bids me a farewell knowing that I would go straight back to sleep. "Stay safe." I mumble already letting sleep embrace me once more. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

"Selene?" I'm confused when Daryl is softly shaking me awake. "Did you not go on the run?" His frown deepens as he looks me over, "you been sleeping all this time?" I'm very confused, what does he mean? He was just up here ten minutes ago.

"Selene have you eaten yet?" I shake my head as I force myself up, "no... it's only been ten minutes Daryl, I'll eat later you should really get going." He takes a seat beside me and takes my hand in his. "Selene you've been sleeping all day, it's night now." I shake my head till I glance outside and see that he was right, it's dark out. "Oh... but I'm still tired." He looks deeply concerned now but simply shakes his head. "Alright, I'm gonna go see if I can find you something, then you can try sleep this off." I nod as my throat begins to tickle a bit.

"Selene come on try and eat something." I'm way too drowsy to even sit up. My eyelids keep slipping and my throat is beginning to feel rough, I just want to sleep for hours upon hours. My head has become too heavy to hold up and is resting in Daryl's palm comfortably as he looks me over, brows drawn together.

He helps me sit up against our makeshift bed frame and starts slowly feeding me some stew. "Where's Rory?" I ask between bites, "she's staying with Carol tonight." I nod and glance over at the little bed Daryl had set up for her next to ours. "She'll be fine, she's excited about a sleepover with Sophia." He adds upon noticing what I was looking at. I nod feeling relieved, I trusted Carol with her anyways, I'm sure she would be fine.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

I don't remember if I finished the stew or falling back asleep but when I wake next it's to Daryl stood across the room. He has a piece of clothing as a sort of mask, pulled up over his nose. "What's going on?" I ask groggily as I force myself up. I'm shocked once he tells me about the infection that's spreading, about all the hood people that we lost.

I'm about to ask him another question when I suddenly start coughing, even though the lower half of his face is covered I can see how it drops immediately. "What? I have it?" It would make sense, seeing as Daryl told me it's thought to have started with Patrick and I spent lots of time around him and the other kids.

"We don't know that." He's being delusional now, we both know that I have it. "Okay, it's no big deal, I'll just get to the quarantine." He shakes his head. "You are not going in there." My brows furrow as I look at him, "what do you mean? If I have it, I should go and quarantine with everyone else." He shakes his head once more and takes a step towards me.

"Don't come near me." I say making him stop in place, "what difference does it make Selene? I share a bed with you. I don't think keeping away from you now is gonna change things." I shrug and pull my shirt over my mouth. "I don't know, you seem to be fine though so why risk it?"

"You stay up here, we'll stay up here together." It's my turn to shake my head now, "no, you said you were gonna go to try and find meds. You have to go, people are depending on you." He nods seeming as though it were difficult. "I don't want you locked up with with everyone else, you need fresh air. You almost died last time and I don't see you getting any better if you're surrounded by sickness." I smile softly at his concern. "I will be fine Daryl, my immune system has been getting stronger and you'll be back with the meds in no time." He gives me another strained nod but at least he doesn't fight me anymore.

Daryl leads me down to the cell block where everyone ill was locked together. I'm sweating profusely by the time we make it and my legs feel like jelly. "Stay safe okay?" He nods and leans down to press as kiss to my forehead, I vaguely feel his lips through the fabric of his mask as they touch the scar above my brow. 

"Always am."