Twenty Three

The group splits into two, half of us stay outside the prison, attracting walkers to the fence and then killing them as the other half of us try and enter the place.

I was in the outside group with Hershel, Beth, Carol, Lori and the kids. Once we lose view of the others, Rick, Daryl, Glenn, T-dog and Maggie. I sit back on the ground trying to catch my breath. Small things were starting to hurt my chest and limit my breathing.

"You okay?" Carol asks me as they hear my wheezing, "I'm fine." I assure them before just giving up and laying down on my side. "She's burning up again." Carol tells them worriedly as she crouches beside me and feels my forehead. "I'm okay." I mumble out again, "we'll go in and find the infirmary today or tomorrow." I tell them, trying to make them worry less. "You're gonna be okay Selene, just try and rest whilst we wait for the others." I nod, my eyes already feeling heavy.

Glenn and Maggie come back to get us as the others are emptying the bodies from the cell block they'd cleared for us. I'm still on the ground when they come and I see the way they share a look once they see me.

Glenn helps me off the ground and places my arm around his shoulder whilst he holds me up. "I can walk." I tell him but he shakes his head. "Let's try to save your energy." He tells me as I let him pull me along. I walk to the best of my ability until I end up getting really tired. I was so embarrassed because I really was just being a burden to the group. I kept slowing them down.

"It's okay." Glenn tells me as I'm sat on the floor catching my breath again. "Look take your time, this bit is secure." I nod and Maggie leads the others ahead whilst Glenn stays with me. "Glenn I don't think I can walk any more." I tell him honestly, I was drained completely, my legs felt like jelly and my head was spinning.

"I can carry you."

We settle for a piggy back, he lifts me up with ease and I rest my head on his shoulder as he walks, trying my hardest to stay awake. If only I'd been this tired last night maybe I'd have had more energy for today.

Glenn gets us to the others quickly, "she okay?" Daryl asks as he sees us enter. "She's okay." Glenn confirms, he then takes me to one of the cells to lay me down. "We're gonna find the infirmary first thing tomorrow morning." He assures me making me nod.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

I hate it in the cell, I'm alone and it reminds me of the basement. I'm much too tired to care at the moment though, not like I could get up and leave.

I sleep through the night and most of the day, only waking up when I hear a shuffling near my bed. "Didn't mean to wake you." It's Daryl, he was just about to leave the cell. "We're going now, to find the cafeteria and infirmary." I feel a sense of fear, this was it. If they didn't find what I needed I was dead. "Hey don't get up." He trying to stop me from standing, I stand anyways.

"Be careful okay?" He give me half a smile, "you're half dead and you're worrying about me?" I roll my eyes, "just don't do anything stupid, if it's there and something happens or you can't get to it, just leave it." He nods an unidentifiable look in his eye. "I'll be back soon." I nod and hug him tightly, just in case.

I fall back asleep easily and stay knocked out until I hear a commotion. I get up and stand at the door of my cell to see the others carrying Hershel, he was bleeding. I force myself out and lean against Hershel's cell door as I watch everyone try to help him. He was bitten and to save him, they'd cut his leg off.

"You should go back to your cell." Daryl tells me as he gets ready to leave, "where are you going?" I ask seeing him load his crossbow up, "go lay down." I do what he says, feeling bad that I can be of no help yet again.

⋅⊰☾∘⊱⋅

"How's Hershel?" I ask Carol sitting up once she comes to my cell. "He's not woken up yet, but there's no fever." I nod glad that he didn't seem to be turning. "Carl found the infirmary," she tells me and it's then I notice the medicine she's holding. "He said there wasn't a lot, he cleaned it out but he got you the antibiotics." She smiles making me smile. "Is he okay?" She nods, "he's fine." She tells me that she has to go after she sets up a drip for me.

"Now you just try and rest and hopefully you'll be better in no time." I nod and lay back down. "Selene," I wake up again after what feels like seconds to see Carl at my door. "Hey kid." I smile sitting up. "Don't get up you're supposed to be resting." He says but I shake my head, "thanks to you I'm feeling better already."

Since I'd been keeping away from Lori as to not get her sick, I'd been keeping away from the kids too. So I hadn't spoken to Carl or Sophia in a while. "Moms mad at me." He says as he sits on the edge of my bed. "Your mom isn't mad, she's concerned. I heard you went off to the infirmary on your own?" He nods.

"Carl that's extremely dangerous, look at what happened to Hershel, and that was with a group. Anything could've happened to you out there and we would have never known." He sighs, "but you needed the medicine, Hershel needed the medicine, she knows that."

"She's your mom Carl. She's gonna worry about you no matter what, she loves you so much and she wouldn't be able to handle if something happened to you. You're everything to her. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you?" He nods. "Look I think it's amazing that you were able to find the infirmary all by yourself and bring us the stuff back but you should never go out there alone again. If I was your mom I'd handcuff you to me." He laughs and shakes his head, "don't give her any ideas."

"If you don't behave I might just." I laugh at the face he makes until that turns into me coughing. He looks panicked but it passes quickly. "I'm okay." I tell him as we both see the blood dotted on my fingers. "I got you the medicine." He says confused as I clean it.

"I'm going to be okay." I assure him as his eyes begin to tear up, "hey, I'm going to be okay Carl, you got me the medicine." I repeat making him nod. "What if you're not?"

"If I'm not...that's okay, I'm okay with it. Everyone's got to die at some point and if this is my time then it's my time." He shakes his head, "I'll miss you."

"I know you will, but you just have to be happy about the time we did spend together, I was really lucky that I met you guys and that I got to have so much fun with you all."