47

Mila hadn't seen Simon since he had shouted at Aurora. She knew something must have happened for him to have yelled at their daughter.

She knew how he was a good father. She knew he would never shout at their daughter.

She knew that Simon was struggling since his mum died. And she wanted to take that pain away from him.

She knew she couldn't help him the way she wished she could. She just had to be there for him. And try to support him.

All she knew was that being without Simon was hard. And she didn't know how much more she could cope with.

When she woke that morning, she rolled onto her side. She ran a hand over the empty space. She sighed and sat up. Mila went to check on Aurora and saw she was fast asleep.

She pulled the blanket over her to stop her from getting cold. She knew her daughter wouldn't wake just yet. She sighed and went to make a drink.

She walked into the living room and saw Simon. "Babe. Are you okay?" She asked as she looked to him.

"I live here."

Mila sighed and sat with him. She took his hand. "Don't shut me out. I know you're hurting over your mum. But I'm here. I love you."

Simon sighed. He looked to her. "I know. I just miss my mum. She was there my whole life. And now my own daughter won't even get to meet her," he mumbled.

"We can tell her all about your mum. She won't ever not know," she told him.

"I shouted at Rory. My own daughter."

"She won't remember. She's a tough cookie," Mila said as she kissed him.

***
Mila and Simon went into work. Simon went to take Aurora to the crèche. Mila walked over to her sister. She looked to her. "Hey. Simon came back. He's so hurt over what happened."

Chloe smiled. "He will be. He's lost his mum. I can't imagine losing our mum. She's amazing," she said.

Mila nodded and looked to her. She sighed. "I just wish there was something I could do for him. He's struggling. And there's nothing I can do," she told her.

"Just be there for him. It's the only thing you can do," Chloe told her.

***
Mila was sitting in her classroom. She looked up as Olga walked in. "Hello darling. How are you?" She asked.

Mila nodded. "I'm good thanks. I'm just worried about Simon. He lost his mum and he's struggling with it," she told her.

"It's not easy. Losing your mum. But you can be there for him. I know you're young. But you do an amazing job. And it can't be easy with a toddler and a baby on the way," Olga said.

Mila knew her mum was right. But she knew it wasn't about her. It was about Simon. And helping him handle everything that had happened.

***
Mila saw Simon walking into the staffroom. She smiled. "Hey. Do you wanna go for dinner tonight? Chloe says she'll have Rory for us," she told him.

Simon nodded. He kissed her and smiled. "Thank you. For being there for me."

"You're welcome. I love you."

"Love you too."

The two of them kissed. Not knowing how Simon's mental health was about to spiral.