49

Mila had no idea what was going on with her and Simon. Things were up and down between them. And she had no idea what she was going to do.

They had their moments when they were good. But then they also had the moments where they were constantly fighting. And Mila didn't want Aurora around that.

She didn't know how she felt about it all. She just wanted it to be okay. But it wasn't.

Mila understood that Simon was grieving his mum. But she couldn't help but feel like he was blaming her for it. She just wanted it to be how it used to be.

Mila had been confiding in her sister a lot. She knew she was the only person she could talk to. It was so hard for her to pretend things were okay when they weren't.

All she knew was that it wasn't easy. And something needed to change. Before it all got too much.

Mila was stood in the kitchen making breakfast for Aurora. It was only 6am. And she knew her little girl wouldn't wake until 7.

Mila looked up as Simon walked in. He sighed and smiled. "I'm sorry. I know I haven't been the easiest to live with. I know we've been arguing a lot. And I want to make it right."

Mila turned to him. She nodded. "I don't know what I've done wrong. I know you're grieving over your mum. But I don't know what I've done for you to treat me like you have been. It's not fair on Rory," she told him.

Simon sighed and nodded. "I know. And I'm sorry. I just want us to be okay," he said.

"I don't know if we can be. Not after all that's happened. I love you. And I want to be with you. But I'm not sure," Mila said as she finished making breakfast.

Simon knew he needed to make it right with her. He just didn't know how to.

***
Mila went into work. She saw Chloe who smiled. "Hey. Are you okay?" Chloe asked as she looked to her.

Mila shrugged. "Simon apologised. But it's not enough now. Look at everything that's been happening. And I just... I can't cope with it. I have Rory to think about. It's not fair on having her in the middle of a war zone," she told her sister.

Chloe smiled. "You know I'm happy to help you. Rory is no hassle at all. And she keeps Poppy calm."

"It's not fair that I keep putting my daughter with you. She needs to be at home. I appreciate the help, I do. I just... I don't know."

"The offer is there. You don't need to be alone. Maybe talk to Simon and tell him that something has to change," Chloe told her.

Mila knew her sister was right. And that something needed to change.

***
Mila walked into Simon's classroom. She looked to him and sighed. "So I've been thinking. And something has to change. I get you miss your mum. But you can't keep lashing out at me. It's not fair."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying. Either you stop verbally lashing out at me, or we're done," she told him as she turned and walked off.

But was she serious about ending things?