Chapter 40

Tanjiro's POV:

Zenitsu pointed out Inosuke, who stood out from the crowd because of his... interesting fashion choices, and said something very cheeky.

He smiled at me then said, "Let's follow him!"

I nodded and we took off down the street to talk to Inosuke, Zenitsu a little slower than me. I opened my mouth to shout Inosuke's name but hesitated.

"Does he look upset to you?" I asked Zenitsu quietly.

Inosuke seemed to be exaggerating how sad he was, sighing so loud that me and Zenitsu could hear him ten yards away and dragging his feet dramaticly. It was strange to say the least, usually Inosuke's the most attention seeking person there is.

He agreed and said, "Where do you think he's going?"

"Maybe to his house? I know if I were that upset I would go home."

"But doesn't he live in some mansion? I don't think there are any around here."

"Let's just see where he ends up, I guess."

As we continued to follow Inosuke he seemed to get more and more depressed with every few steps.

He turned the corner abruptly and we almost lost him, we quickly hurried in the direction he went in, but couldn't see him anywhere.

We looked around franticly, there's no way he's gone after following him for that long, right?!

Then a few moments after scanning the area, I spotted him.

"Look, Zenitsu, he's over there!" I pointed over to the house he was waltzing into.

"That doesn't look like what he described..." he said skeptically.

I nodded and said "Yeah..." and we took off down the sidewalk and to the front door of Inosuke's house.

Zenitsu looked at me, he obviously didn't want to be the one to knock, but it's understandable. If his parents are like Inosuke then this might be more difficult than we thought it'd be.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door a few times. We stood there anxiously with our hands interlocked with one another.

The door creaked open a little and we saw a little boy peeking through at us.

"Uh.. hello?" I said to him.

Then the door swung open the rest of the way and an adult was standing there and told the little boy to go back and eat his lunch.

"Is there something I can do for you boys?" The woman asked us, she must be Inosuke's mother, right? Except she looks nothing like him, she's blonde and has brown eyes.

I stared at Zenitsu and he shrugged at me, then I turned back to her and answered "We'd just like to know if Inosuke's home."

She thought for a moment or two, "He might be, he comes and goes so it's hard to keep track." She stepped out of the doorway and said "You can come in if you need to talk to him."

What type of mother never knows if their children are home?! Well, I guess Inosuke is kind of free-willed so we can't really blame her.