05 | Scheming

22 BBY, Month 5

Rylann

Rylann sat in the mess hall beside her master who had just finished her soup

Rylann sat in the mess hall beside her master who had just finished her soup. Shaak Ti looked over at her, wheels turning behind her eyes. Rylann clammed up, trying to resume eating but she could feel the questions from Shaak Ti.

Rylann had walked in the mess hall with Crosshair only to part ways as he sat with his brothers. She tried not to glance at their table much, but it was impossible because she kept hearing Wrecker's contagious laughter which brought a smile to her face.

Rylann knew that Shaak Ti was curious. Her Genetian gift of force empathy could feel the curiosity rolling off of her master like waves. Rylann decided that avoiding the gaze of her master would be best.

"You have made friends," Shaak Ti stated, sipping from her cup, gaze landing on the table of defected clones.

"Yeah, I have," Rylann said sharply, stirring her soup. Of course her master would put an end to it. No attachments, Shaak Ti had made clear.

"I'm glad," Shaak Ti said, standing up from her spot. Rylann met her master's eyes in shock. Shaak Ti approved? "It's good to connect with the troops." Shaak Ti once again glanced at Ry's friends. "Especially the ones who are left out. It is the Jedi way."

And Shaak Ti left with her tray. Blinking the shock away, Rylann lifted her tray in a daze, walking over to the table with her friends.

"Lanny!" Wrecker exclaimed, standing up quickly, almost knocking over the table. Hunter and Tech luckily were able to catch it in time. Crosshair just continued to eat his soup.

"Room for one more?" Ry asked, looking at her friends for confirmation.

"There is no point in asking," Tech said, adjusting the goggles as he tried to take a bit of soup only for it to fog up the lens.

Ry sat down across from Crosshair, watching as Tech pushed his glasses onto his hair as he started to eat. "You know, if you keep doing that, your hairline will recede."

Tech glanced up at the padawan, raising a brow. "I need more proof and research than that to believe you, Rylann."

"The only proof you'll need is a mirror in five years," Crosshair bit back, taking another slurp of soup. Rylann fought back a grin. She had been thinking the same thing, but hadn't had time to say it. Maybe she and Crosshair could get along well. It seemed they were on the same wavelength for the most part. He's just more of a jerk, Rylann thought before biting her lip. That was a bit uncalled for, even if it was just her thoughts. Though Crosshair didn't talk too much about his past, he definitely had reason to be closed off because of the Kaminoans. How could the soldiers serve someone who didn't care about them other than because they spent money on them? Rylann's frown deepened. How was the Republic any different?

"Are you alright?" Hunter asked, snapping Ry from her thoughts.

She looked up, nodding all too quickly. "Oh, yeah! I'm good."

Hunter's brows furrowed, eyes narrowing at her. "If you say so."

"Just let her be," Crosshair snapped, wiping his mouth on a napkin after he pushed his finished bowl away. "She has had a rough past few days." This statement caused the rest of the brothers to turn to her, questions rising in their mouths.

Rylann groaned. "Thanks, Mr. Smooth."

Crosshair shrugged, not even shooting her a glance. "Hey, you were going to have to explain at some point."

"Explain what??" Wrecker asked, wide brown eyes staring into Ry's. She couldn't maintain eye contact with him.

Rylann sighed, scooting her finished bowl from her with a flick of her wrist. "Shaak Ti says my saber skills are subpar of what they need to be to pass the Trials." Wrecker opened his mouth to ask a question, so Ry quickly added, "Padawan graduation."

"Ah, to become a Jedi Knight and a General of the GAR," Tech stated, nodding as he stirred his uneaten soup.

"Righto." Ry nodded, drinking her blue milk. "But even with spending the past few days in the gym working on it, I've been failing miserably." She swirled the remaining drops in her cup, looking down at them. "I think Shaak Ti gave up on me. She withdrew herself from my training sessions after the first day."

"You're gonna get it," Hunter reassured her, with a nod, his long hair bouncing. "You're a good jedi."

Rylann winced at that. Was she though? All the questions and doubts rose in her mind. "But this is why I need your help."

"What can we do?" Tech asked, patting his mouth with a napkin, pushing aside his not empty bowl of soup. "We're clones."

"I was thinking—" Rylann flushed, looking down. Could she really say it? Could she offer to do something that was not the Jedi training methods? Even if Shaak Ti really approved of their friendship, Ry doubted she approved of unorthodox training routines.

"We discussed training together," Crosshair said, swooping in to save the day. Rylann shot him an appreciative look which he just winked in return. Rylann flushed, furrowing her brows at that.

"Is that allowed?" Hunter whispered, leaning onto the table as his voice lowered.

"It's not directly addressed but it will not be looked up upon," Tech stated, pushing his glasses onto his head to rub his eyes.

"You're gonna recede your hairline," Rylann said below a whisper, bringing his goggles down and scooting his unfinished soup in front of him. "And eat your soup else you're gonna become a scarecrow."

"What's that?" Wrecker asked, downing his second bowl of soup.

"It's a-" Rylann paused. "Well, it's clothing filled with straw on a pole to scare crows from getting in your garden."

"No wonder I didn't know," Tech muttered thoughtfully, taking another bite of soup. "I'll have to look it up later."

Hunter leaned in, grinning curiously. "Did you have gardens where you were from? Before Coruscant?"

"I—" Ry was about to answer, but she paused again. Did she? "I can't remember. I have visited Lothal to help rebuild farms after crazy storms. Tornadoes are quite crazy."

Tech pulled out his datapad to write stuff down. She heard him muttering "scarecrows" and "tornadoes."

Hunter leaned on the table, a grin spreading across his face. "So, what will this training look like?"

Ry shrugged. "I just need to get better at lightsabers."

That was when Crosshair grinned, pulling out a toothpick from his belt to place in his teeth. "I have a few ideas."

The tone of his voice sent Ry's head snapping towards him. What was he planning? Whatever it was, it couldn't be good.

--------

A/N:

Sorry it took so long to get out. I had to revamp the whole fanfic with song stuff, so I didn't want to post it before then. Finally had the time tonight. 

Enjoy!

P. S. Seriously, if you have song requests or see any cool prompts, let me know! I want to challenge myself!