42 | The 501st

22 BBY, Month 9

Rylann

Rylann awoke to a pounding on her door and loud noises emitting from behind it

Rylann awoke to a pounding on her door and loud noises emitting from behind it. Flinging herself from her bed, she used the force to call her saber to her. Her saber drawn, she neared the door, opening it with a slide of her hand.

It was Brodes, Giggles, and a few other clones with kazoos and party favors standing there, giggling amongst themselves. Rylann could see Kix thrown into the mix of clones waiting for her outside.

Lowering and extinguishing her lightsaber, she tossed it aside onto her bed to pull Giggles into a hug. "Oh my goodness, I forgot you had transferred to Anakin's legion," she said, her voice muffled in his black shirt. Giggles surprisingly smelled like spearmint and clean linen.

"Good to see you, too!" Giggles said, embracing her back. After a minute he held her at an arm's length, examining her features. "You seem different."

Rylann squinted, examining him in turn. "Not as different as you," she muttered, running a hand through her hair. "You've grown." Rylann kept forgetting that clones aged fast. Giggles had broadened out, his jaw more defined. His hair was still cropped like the goody-two-shoes he was, but he still had the unwanted tattoo of a smiley-face on the back of his neck.

"You tend to grow up fast out here," Giggles said, a sad look seeping into his eyes. Rylann's gut dropped. Why did this stupid war have to be a thing?

"Giggles, stop hogging her and let us all have time with her," Brodes said, shuffling into the room, his mop of hair, falling in front of his brows. He had grown his stubble into a fully fledged beard since the last time that Rylann had seen him. He now had a cut below his left eye which gave him a more rugged look. He reminded Rylann of Hunter which sent a pang of homesickness throughout her being. She missed her boys.

"Hey, Brodes," Rylann said, greeting the taller clone. He gave her a side hug, gesturing for the other boys to enter the room. She glanced over at Ahsoka's temporary cot on the floor, but it seemed that the young togruta had already awoken and gotten started on her daily routine. Hopefully, she wouldn't mind the boys in the room.

Kix glided over, pulling her into a hug from behind before rustling the hair on her head. "You little whippersnapper! You forgot to write!"

Rylann flushed, ducking out of his embrace to evade further hair damage. "Life has been crazy, I'm sorry."

Kix wiggled his eyebrows. "Is it cuz of Mr. Cross?"

"Who's making your life crazy?" Ahsoka's voice came from the door.

Rylann's face burned in embarrassment. "Oh, Mr. Cross? He's just a clone I know. Hehadbeenteachingmehowtoshootandflyandstuffandwefightalot. We're also friends. But we still fight. Nothing crazy."

Kriff, I suck at this, Rylann sighed. Of all people she couldn't hide it from, it was her outgoing, talkative female friend. Ahsoka and Rylann grew up together, even if there was a small age gap, so they knew each other really well. Rylann was positive that Ahsoka had caught on to something being fishy regarding her and the Batch. Specifically, Cross.