48 | Inquiries

22 BBY, Month 9

Crosshair

Cross sat in the storage room of the shuttle as it shivered and hummed through hyperspace

Cross sat in the storage room of the shuttle as it shivered and hummed through hyperspace. Sil, Hunter, Wrecker, and Tech were up in the front of the ship, either sleeping through the trip or conversing. Crosshair had stolen himself away so that he could shoot a call at Rylann. He was just waiting for her to answer.

As if on cue, his commlink buzzed. He fumbled with it to turn it on, setting it on the cargo crate in front of him. Rylann's image appeared before him.

"You okay, Cross?" Rylann asked, crossing her arms as she sat back in some chair across the call. Before Crosshair could reply, Rylann let out a laugh. "You are looking a little more blue than usual."

Crosshair sighed before chuckling. "Cuz of the call. Cute."

Rylann scrunched her nose. "Don't patronize me, Snipes."

"I'm only joking, Ryle," he said, holding his knees to his chest as he watched the call, taking in her every feature. "How are you?"

"Sore," she groaned, rolling her shoulders to test it out. "Yep, it still hurts."

"Training has been that taxing?"

Rylann nodded, taking a sip from her mug. "Force training with Yoda is more taxing in my head and emotions. But Windu?" Rylann scoffed. "It's draining mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually." She set her mug down, raising both hands to pretend to squeeze his throat. "I could just, ergh!!" She sighed, rubbing her eyes. "It's testing me to remain cool."

"Have you been?" Cross asked, pulling a toothpick from his pack before placing it in his mouth. "Remaining cool? I mean you already are cool in my eyes, but you know what I mean."

Rylann smiled softly, brushing her hair behind her ear. "You're sweet, but yeah. I've been able to keep more and more emotions in check. Even when Windu is a pain in the neck."

"Good," Cross said, rolling the toothpick with his tongue. Now he just had to ask her about the research regarding the clone's rapid aging. How could he transition to that smoothly?

"Something is bothering you," Rylann said, leaning forward, her eyes searching his.

Well, that was one way to transition. "You know when you visited my family on Reannor City?"

Rylann nodded, sobering. "Yeah, and you found out Zeta was sick."

"It's actually about him," he muttered, clearing his throat. Removing his toothpick, he gazed at Rylann. "I was wondering if you could look into things about the DNA and such." She opened her mouth to speak, but he let out a shaky breath. "I know it will be hard, but if we were able to figure this out, we could stop clones from rapidly aging all around."

Rylann blinked, biting her lip. "I don't know if I can do much, but I will try, Cross. For Zeta. For you."

Crosshair gulped, his throat suddenly clenching. He missed her so much. "See you soon, right?"

"Yeah, after graduation," she sighed, leaning back in her chair, pulling her mug to her again. "We're almost there."

He opened his mouth about to let her know that he'd be on Coruscant, but quickly shut it. Not only was this a perfect opportunity to surprise her, Sil had told him that they wouldn't have free time to make calls until after the mission. He figured waiting was for the best.

【 ⌖ 】

Rylann

Rylann walked the halls of the jedi temple in the early morning, slowly going over some saber movements as she pondered what Crosshair had asked of her

Rylann walked the halls of the jedi temple in the early morning, slowly going over some saber movements as she pondered what Crosshair had asked of her. How was she to do it? To gain access to documents that were prized secrets of the Kaminoans? The thought of confusing secrets brought Project Conduit to mind. What was that? She had nearly forgotten about it.

In a spout of frustration, she started to swing her lit saber in a violent array of motion, mimicking what she had seen Windu do over the course of their short training. She finally ended with pointing her saber at a frightened Senator Amidala.

Shock shot through Rylann's being as she turned off her saber, bowing lowly to her. "I am so sorry, I thought I was alone."

"I am sorry for interrupting you," Senator Amidala said, biting her lip. "I am actually in need of some assistance."

"Whatever you need, ma'am," Rylann said, placing her saber on her belt.

The senator looked down at her clasped hands. "You are Shaak Ti's padawan, Rylann Tetra correct?" After receiving a nod of affirmation, the senator continued. "I know that you and Anakin were close when you were younger so I was wondering if you've heard whether the 501st would be returning to Coruscant soon."

Rylann's mouth opened in realization. Maybe this crush thing went both ways. "I do not know. Are they returning soon?"

"I've been told of possibilities, though plans always change with the war," Senator Amidala stated sadly.

"That is an unfortunate reality of war, Senator Amidala," Rylann said, nodding.

"Padme," the senator corrected, a sweet smile on her face before it faltered. "Your saber skills are quite proficient. But you seemed a bit frustrated."

Rylann gulped, turning away. "I don't know. A lot is on my mind. I have my knighting coming up next month and then one of my friends is sick and we can't find a cure—" Rylann blinked before laughing. "I don't know why I am telling you this."

Padme frowned, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I hope your friend gets better," she stated. "Let me know if you need anything from me."

Rylann held her breath. Wasn't Padme a senator? Did she have access to more secretive files? Or did she know someone who did? "Well, actually, I have something in mind," Rylann said, clearing her throat. "I'll help you get in contact with the 501st if you help me."