33 | Technical Difficulties

22 BBY, Month 8

Rylann

A loud boom shook through the recreational center, sending jolts of fear and thrill through Rylann's body

A loud boom shook through the recreational center, sending jolts of fear and thrill through Rylann's body. The large windows rumbled at the sound and the lights flickered off. The people within the building either crowded towards the windows to see and record what was happening, or they ran out of the building in fear. Rylann stood there, trying to process where the boom came from... the amphitheater?

Crosshair grabbed her arm, muttering, "The man to your left!"

Rylann diverted her eyes from the chaos to look where Cross was pointing. There was a grey-haired man running up the steps instead of down them like the rest of the people. He littered his wool cloak behind a plant on the steps as he took them two-by-two.

"Is that Mandalorian armor?" Rylann asked as Cross jerked her in the direction of the man, pushing his way through the crowd.

As they drew up the stairs, Crosshair removed his own disguise, tossing it aside. "Be ready and aware, Ryle, this is no longer a drill."

Fear shot through her veins before she took a deep breath. She was not powerful but at least she wasn't powerless. Rylann's hand twitched over her concealed lightsaber as they inched toward the man who was going up yet another flight of stairs.

"Where do you think he's going?" Rylann asked below a whisper.

Crosshair narrowed his eyes in thought. "I saw a sniper rifle on him. He must be going to a higher floor to get a shot at the Duchess."

"Then let's stop him," Rylann whispered, trying to rush faster to the man but Crosshair's strong arm held her back.

"Let's slow down and think about what we know." Crosshair sniffed in thought as he pulled her behind a pillar in case the Sniper Mando decided to show his face again. "We need to remember our goal."

Rylann paused. "Oh, the Duchess."

Cross nodded. "Last time we heard the Duchess was in the amphitheater."

"So the bomb?" Rylann remembered, scratching her chin. "You think that was meant to kill her?"

Crosshair shook his head. "It wasn't explosive or else the windows would've blown in due to the proximity of the amphitheater."

Rylann smirked. "Okay, Tech."

Crosshair shot her a glare before rubbing his stubble in thought. "Since our comms are static, I don't think it's jammed. I think it was a tech bomb of sorts. Tech told me about them once."

"So, why do it where the Duchess was if it's harmless? Wouldn't they have a chance to blow her brains out at the amphitheater?"

"According to General Kenobi's source, the Mandalorian security teams scan for explosives previous to any event, but I wouldn't think they'd scan for a bomb of that sort." Crosshair squinted, chewing on his gums. "Maybe an inside job? Someone who knows the security procedures?"