30 | The Mission

22 BBY, Month 8

Hunter

Hunter knew something was off between Crosshair and Rylann

Hunter knew something was off between Crosshair and Rylann. Over the next few weeks of them returning from their trip to Reannor City, they would either avoid each other or when they were around each other, pretend they didn't exist. Hunter had his suspicions about what was going on unsaid between them, but he wished that they'd just talk or something to get the awkwardness over with. Or at least find a new way to navigate life that didn't dampen the mood wherever they went.

"Rylann, focus," Hunter grumbled, heaving yet another sigh as he watched her mix up the names of Plan Iris and Plan Bombshell on the holo. "We have a meeting with the Council in thirty minutes and you've not made any progress on your strategy memorization."

Rylann's heart raced for a second as her head flew up to meet his gaze. She blushed, averting her eyes. "Sorry."

"You need to get your head out of the clouds and remember the importance of your training," Hunter stated, pushing the keyboard closer to Rylann. "Or have you forgotten you have your trials in two months and you'll be leading us onto the battlefield in three?"

"Yeah," Rylann muttered, slumping into her desk chair.

Hunter sighed, turning off the monitor. "I'd prefer it if our leader would pay more attention. You really have to deal with whatever is going on in that head of yours." Hunter flicked her head teasingly which got a scowl in return.

"Not in the mood, Hunter."

Hunter raised his hands in defense. "Sorry, Ry," he said, taking a step back from the computer before crossing his arms. "Besides, you've got training with Crosshair after the meeting today. Got to get your pretty little head prepped for that, too."

Hunter, with all his reflexes and perceptive abilities, failed to expect a keyboard to be flying towards him. Ducking in the nick of time, Hunter let out a laugh. "So, it is the problem."

"I'm going to get ready," Rylann grumbled, standing to her feet and brushing past him, her chair swiveling behind her.

Chuckling to himself, Hunter turned off the lights in the training room before exiting down the hall.

【 ⌖ 】

Hunter waited outside the door of the conference room, tapping his foot to keep time. The meeting started in less than two minutes and Rylann was nowhere to be found.

Crosshair was pouting as he leaned against the wall, per usual, and Wrecker was dozing off as he sat cross-legged on the floor. And to everyone's discomfort, there was an obnoxious clicking coming from Tech's datapad as he attacked the keyboard with ferocious speed.

"We might as well go in without her," Crosshair stated with a scowl.

Hunter frowned, shaking his head. "We wait." What was wrong with Cross? Before he couldn't pull himself away from her and now he could care less?

Nevermind. Crosshair cared.

The sound of hurried footsteps brought Crosshair's heart rate up as the taller clone cleared his throat before nonchalantly looking in the direction of the approaching figure.

Hunter knew it was Rylann before she even appeared due to the overbearing smell of some citrusy scent that seemed to follow her. Either she washed with a lemony soap or used such a perfume, but to Hunter, it was too much. Well, to Hunter a lot was too much. He could always tell if the cooks put one more teaspoon of pepper in the soup than usual.

"About time," Tech stated, pocketing the datapad before making his way to the door. "Let's get going."

"What's gotten you in a rush?" Cross grumbled, sulking after his brother.

Hunter noted that Rylann's heart raced as Crosshair crossed in front of her, making him sigh. Romantic love was stupid and ridiculous. Too much overstimulation for him even from second-hand. Shaking his head, he followed everyone into the room. There was a holo of the Jedi Council on the center table. Shaak Ti was already in the room, in the middle of discussing something with the Council. They quickly hushed the conversation to nothing, sparking Hunter's curiosity. He wondered what they were talking about before.

"Hello, Masters," Rylann said, bowing slightly.

"You're almost late," the one known as Master Windu stated, a frown on his face.

Shaak Ti's heart rate picked up. So, were they talking about Rylann?

"Well, I wasn't," Rylann quipped back only to get an elbow from Hunter. She cleared her throat. "I'll do better in the future, Master."

"You do realize why you're here, padawan?" Windu said, his voice threatening. "We can easily forfeit you from a mission."

Rylann opened her mouth to speak but Shaak Ti held her hand up so that only Rylann could see it and not the Jedi masters.

Master Yoda, the creepy frog-like creature, cleared his throat. "To give Padawan Tetra a chance, I think we need. You had your score of late meetings as a padawan, Master Windu, do you remember not?"

Windu grimaced, looking away. "Very well. Master Kenobi, give the rundown of the mission please."

Hunter turned to the younger, bearded human who stroked his facial hair. Master Kenobi snapped himself from thought. "Oh, yes," Kenobi said, clearing his throat. "Rylann Tetra, you must take Clone Force 99 to Mandalore for a secret mission to gather information on the forming Death Watch. We will send the mission packet the day you are sent off, which is tomorrow."

Hunter sensed the unrest even from the holocall. Whoever this Death Watch was, it was serious business.

Rylann nodded beside him. "It will be done."

Windu frowned, nodding back. "It had better. This is a test to see if you're ready for your testing coming up."

Rylann's heart rate picked up and Hunter could feel anger rise in Shaak Ti for the first time.

"Thank you, Masters," Hunter stated quickly, hoping to cut off any aggression or frustration. He wanted to de-escalate this as quickly as possible. "We will keep Master Kenobi updated on our status throughout the mission."

And the call turned off.