40 | Goodbyes

22 BBY, Month 8

Rylann

For once, the rain had stopped on Kamino

For once, the rain had stopped on Kamino. The launchpad of Tipoca City was quiet, bright, and full of people. That was the opposite of what Rylann wanted. She wished it would rain so that no one could see the pain on her face, or assume the tears were just rain.

In front of her was Shaak Ti, looking more tired than usual. Rylann had forgotten to think of how her master felt. She must be hating this as much as Rylann was. Shaak Ti stepped forward, pulling her into a tight hug. Rylann could feel the pain and love rolling off of her master in waves, much like the ones below. Tears pricked at Rylann's eyes as her throat tensed. She didn't want to leave Kamino.

Rylann laughed internally at how only a few months ago she had wished the opposite. At that time, she felt Shaak Ti didn't understand her, she hadn't yet met the Batch, and hadn't had Crosshair in her life. Her days on Kamino for the past four months were good. She hated that they were drawing to a close at this very moment. Yeah, there was a chance she'd return to command the Bad Batch, but that could be done from anywhere, and her lifestyle would change drastically. There would be unrest in the constant battles and missions they would surely face and Rylann was scared of that.

"I will come and visit you in the tenth month before your graduation," Shaak Ti mustered out, her voice heavy with sadness.

"You'd better call whenever you can, too," Rylann said, gulping back the pain. "I'll miss you."

"I will, too," Shaak Ti said, giving a side eye to Kenobi who stood a few yards back, talking to Cody who had also come with him to escort Rylann. "Listen closely, my padawan," Shaak Ti whispered, under her breath. "You must maintain the image of the perfect student, giving no room for error. I don't want to give Windu anything to point at. Make it seem impossible for you to be rebellious."

Rylann nodded, already making sure to stay true to the plan. She didn't want anyone to think she was rebellious, even if she was harboring feelings for one of the clones.

"Now, I believe your friends want to say goodbye," Shaak Ti stated, removing Rylann from her arms.

Rylann neared the Batch, her heart twisting in her chest. Hunter and Tech were pursing their lips as they nodded to her. Wrecker, who had woken up the night before, was tearing up, and Crosshair wouldn't look her way. Her heart heaved in her chest. Why wouldn't he look?

"Are you all going to just stand there or are we not going to hug?" Rylann asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Wrecker ran over, engulfing Rylann into a hug, swinging her around. Dizziness hit Rylann like a shuttle crash as she was dropped out of Wrecker's arms. Gulping back bile, Rylann punched Wrecker's arm, sending him a smile. "I'm glad you are feeling better, Wrecker."