32 | The Capital

22 BBY, Month 8

Rylann

The shuttle landed outside of Mandalore's capital before the sun had risen

The shuttle landed outside of Mandalore's capital before the sun had risen. The smokey grey clouds hung over the horizon like a curtain revealing the coming sunrise. Rylann wished she could behold the scenery of the planet under better circumstances. It was all too peaceful to enjoy when she was about to sneak into the city and stop a potential assassination.

Rylann walked down the extended ramp of the ship, examining her surroundings. There was a land shuttle waiting outside, a man standing near it, shoulders stiff like a stone walk. She knew immediately he was a clone even though his floppy, wide-brimmed hat shaded his face. His stance and physique gave it away.

Realizing that she was leading this mission and not her own master, she walked up to the clone, saluting him. "Commander Cody, I presume."

A rigid grin etched itself into his familiar face, a scar along his temple crinkling from laughing lines. "You presume correctly," he stated, offering a solid handshake which Rylann returned firmly. "It's a pleasure to officially meet your acquaintance, Commander Tetra. General Kenobi has spoken highly of you."

Rylann raised her brows high at the statement. She hadn't thought that Kenobi would talk of her ever. She felt that she gave him more trouble than not and they barely interacted. "I'm surprised," she said, letting out a nervous chuckle. "I would think that Anakin and me getting into trouble would deter that opinion."

Commander Cody just shook his head, smile still on his lips. "He said any padawan of Shaak Ti's is bound for great things."

Rylann held back a laugh and a smirk. She had wondered if Shaak Ti had ever crushed on Kenobi, but his comment made her think if it was reciprocated. Had the Flirt found a new target to make fall for him?

The Batch exited the ship behind her, Hunter reaching her side first. "Commander," he said, saluting the reg.

"Sergeant Hunter, it's a pleasure," Commander Cody said, offering a handshake to Hunter as well. "I'm looking forward to seeing you and the team in action." His lips twitched. "I've heard stories of your training and infamy."

Hunter narrowed his eyes at the comment and Rylann could sense his wariness and suspicion. She placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him. "I assure you that they will not only meet your expectations but exceed them."

"Glad to hear it," Commander Cody said before walking past them to introduce himself to the rest of the Batch.

Hunter stood beside her, shoulders tensed and eyes deep in thought.

"Don't worry, Hunter," Rylann assured him. "Commander Cody is under General Kenobi which means he is trustworthy." Hunter did not respond. Rylann sighed. "He has our best interests in mind, Hunter. I can feel it."