36 | For What It's Worth

22 BBY, Month 8
Tech

"Is he still under?" A masculine voice said behind Tech as he sat beside Wrecker, trying not to let the tears prickle at his eyes

Tech sniffed, rubbing his eyes beneath his goggles. "Yes, he is," he replied, his voice cracking slightly from the emotional lump in his throat. Tech made eye contact with Hersehl, shoulders deflating. "He has been unresponsive for at least 168 minutes."

Hersehl sighed, taking a seat across from Tech on the other side of the makeshift medical bed. "A blow to the face is always finicky."

Tech's jaw clenched, fist tightening. "I should have been there instead of him. I should have known there could have been some bomb and I should have been there to stop it faster." Tech shook his head. "Wrecker loves his explosives but he's not the best or fastest at taking it apart. I should have taught him better."

"Your brother won't get well with all these 'should haves,'" Hersehl grunted, looking up at Tech with his one good eye, eye patch glowing blue from the dull lighting in the room. "He will get better soon and it's your job not to stress. Winsla does a good job."

Tech let out a breath, running his tongue over his teeth in thought. "I just wish things would have turned out differently."

"We can't keep wishing that the past would change when we have opportunities ahead to change the future."

Tech blinked at the shocking wisdom that came out of the man. "You are correct," Tech finally said after he stopped sputtering. "I must think forward and not behind me."

Hersehl just nodded, fiddling with some device in his hands before suddenly it buzzed back on.

The electronic overlay on Tech's goggles flickered on, the hum of electricity becoming quite deafening in the background.

Wynn rushed into the room, breathing heavily. "Tech's back."

"I never left," Tech jested, suddenly surprised at his ability to joke around even if his brother was unconscious beside him.

Wynn giggled under her breath before sobering. "But, now can we contact your brothers?"

Urgency shot through Tech's veins as he started scrolling through his messages. He had fourteen missed calls from Commander Cody. He quickly redialed the number, hoping that the reg could still call back.

Luckily, he could. Commander Cody's hologram appeared, flickering slightly from the distance. "Tech, status update on you and Wrecker."

"I am quite well, but Wrecker has been badly injured from the explosion from the electronic detonator," Tech explained.

"Where are you now?"

Tech inhaled, ready to lay it all out. "A local girl helped us and we are staying with her family. One is a retired head of security and he has helped us identify the perpetrators." Tech paused, lip twitching as he stopped himself from giving away Hersehl's almost successful assassination even if it was misunderstood. He decided Hersehl could tell his own story later. "Where are Hunter and the others?"