08 | Mindgames

22 BBY, Month 5

Rylann

Rylann entered the training center to find the boys already at work

Rylann entered the training center to find the boys already at work. Tech's swift hands were flying against the dashboard, writing out various commands and such, Hunter watching over his shoulder, arms crossed. Wrecker was sitting on a crate next to Crosshair, laughing about something, though Cross only nodded.

Rylann smiled at that. From the two months of knowing Cross, she noticed the small things that he did that most would dismiss as cold or callous, but she knew was him opening up. The nod of his head to let his brothers know he was listening, the smirk when one of his teases went well, and most of all, that one look in his eyes to show his understanding. But that was all to his brothers. He barely made eye contact with her anymore.

Everyday she wondered if she had gotten too mad over that stupid nickname he gave her. Cry Ry, she thought bitterly. More like Wrath of Ry now. She was thoroughly disappointed in her lack of emotional control. But it was hard to do so when she not only felt her own emotions so deeply, but the emotions of others. She practically fed off of others feelings, becoming what she ate. Someone was sad? She was heartbroken. Someone was happy? She was over the moons. There was no such thing as apathy in Rylann Tetra. And yet, she was upset that her apathetic frenemy was not talking to her anymore.

At least look at me every once in a while, she thought, biting her lip as a wave of sadness washed over her like the stormy waters below the city.

"Oh, hello, Rylann," Tech said, waking her from her murky thoughts. "You are here early."

Rylann shrugged, kicking at nothing in general. "My master is on a week-long trip to Coruscant, so I've nothing better to do."

"Heya, Lanny!" Wrecker's gruff voice reverberated through the room as he bounded over to her. Embracing her in a near-bone-crushing hug, Wrecker nuzzled his head in her neck. She rustled the mop of curls on his head with a smile.

"Heya, Wreck," she mumbled into his shirt, glad to have such a happy, welcoming friend.

"Are you two done?" Cross's voice cut through the air like Hunter's vibroknife.

Rylann clenched her jaw, removing herself from the much-needed hug. "Are you jealous, hotshot?" she asked, tilting her head as anger rolled in her stomach like a storm.

Cross's eyes bulged for a moment before he just looked away. "I just want to get on with training."

"Of course you do," Hunter retorted, shooting Crosshair a strange look. Crosshair looked about as confused as Rylann felt.

Shrugging off the moment, Rylann moved forward, flipping her saber from her belt to test it in her hands. "I think I want to take two of you."

Hunter spun on his heel, brows furrowing in worry. "Er, I don't know about that."