27 | Reannor City

22 BBY, Month 7

Rylann

Flying for the first time was exhausting and Rylann wasn't even done yet

Flying for the first time was exhausting and Rylann wasn't even done yet. She was reaching her limit and could barely keep focused since drowsiness flooded her senses. Crosshair who sat beside her didn't seem to notice, or show anything if he did.

"How much longer?" Rylann asked, blowing stray hair from her face. She gave Crosshair a side eye, gauging his reaction. The toothpick that resided in his mouth did a little swivel, but that was it.

"We should be nearing the docks soon," Cross stated, before leaning over to tap the navigation computer. "Check the nav and see for yourself. I won't always be here to guide you." Something sunk in her gut when he said that, but Rylann couldn't pinpoint why.

"Don't say that," Rylann said through a pout. "You'll always be here to annoy me."

Crosshair only smiled, but his eyes said otherwise. Rylann's fake pout dwindled down to a firm frown as she delved deeper into thought. Did he think that because he was a soldier that he wouldn't live long in battle? And since the Batch were special forces, how much more danger would they be in compared to regular soldiers on the frontlines?

"There she is," Cross's nasal voice hummed as he sat up straighter in the seat, readjusting the buckle from his shoulder. "Now to teach you to land."

Rylann's eyes widened, her heart flipping in her chest. "Are you serious right now?" she asked, voice a pitch higher. "Can't we just switch?"

Crosshair smirked and sent her a wink, flicking his toothpick behind him. "Where's the fun in that?"

"Plenty of fun," Rylann retorted. "Not accidentally destroying Republic property would be really fun and exhilarating right now."

"Don't worry, you've got to trust me," Crosshair said, nudging her arm which sent tingles up her skin.

"I do trust you," Rylann whispered, looking over at Crosshair with a sincere gaze.

Crosshair leaned over the arm of his seat, brown eyes brimmed with gravity. "But do you trust yourself?"

Rylann's words caught in her throat. No, she didn't. She never did trust her capabilities as a Jedi or even as a person, but now that she couldn't even control the Force anymore, she didn't trust herself to an even deeper level. "No," she admitted, voice catching. "I don't."

His brows pinched together for a moment only to soften. "Well, you should." He turned away, leaning his head back into her chair, lip pursing in determination. "You are a highly capable woman."

Rylann blushed, warmth spreading across her cheeks like a wildfire. "Cross."

"What? It's true," Crosshair said, doubling down on his previous statement, though avoiding her gaze. "Now close your eyes."