29 | Flighted Minds

22 BBY, Month 7

Rylann

Rylann sank into the back of the chair in the main deck of the shuttle, watching Crosshair bid adieu to his family

Rylann sank into the back of the chair in the main deck of the shuttle, watching Crosshair bid adieu to his family. Through the glass, Ry smiled as her grumpy friend pulled his "parents" into various degrees of hugs, each one different for each proto-clone.

Rylann crossed her arms over her chest, a sinking feeling tugging at her gut. The whole idea of her friends or any clone dying long before she did was not right in her mind. She didn't want her friends to lose Zeta to this rapid-aging curse. She didn't want to lose anyone to it.

Rylann zoned off, clenching her jaw as possible cures and plans circulated in her head like a vortex. Crosshair entered the main deck of the shuttle, sliding into the pilot's seat next to her. She finally looked up from her brainstorming to acknowledge him.

"Hey," she whispered, heart sinking slightly from her darkened mood. "Thanks for flying back. I don't know if I have it in me to do it right now."

Crosshair nodded, averting his eyes as he started the launching protocols. "Of course."

Rylann smiled at the softness in his voice. "I really like them," she mentioned after a moment's pause. Crosshair looked at her from the corner of his eyes before she continued. "I see similarities between them and you and your brothers."

His brows furrowed. "Mine's rather obvious."

Rylann sobered, placing a hand on his arm which caused him to tense. Rylann had noted the dissonance between Cross and Delta. "Maybe in looks and DNA, but I saw how Sil and Omicron leaned on the wall and thought of you." Crosshair leveled the craft out, setting it on autopilot, and turned to face her. Rylann tilted her head, hand still on his arm. "You also put stuff in your mouth like Omicron."

Crosshair looked down, processing what she said. "I did often find myself under Sil and Omicron's care. More than Delta, that's for sure. Besides training anyway."

Rylann retracted her arm from his arm, but he quickly caught it, holding her hand in his. Rylann blushed. "Cross..."

"I wanted to thank you for offering to help find a cure for Zeta," Crosshair said, looming her dead in the eyes. Rylann's heart beat faster in her chest as the warmth of his hand on hers was spreading throughout her being.

"I don't know if I can help."

"It's the gesture that counts, Ryle," Crosshair whispered, thumb stroking her knuckles.

"I—uh, Cross," Rylann muttered, gesturing to her hand in his.

Crosshair frowned. "I won't have to let go if you'll have me."

Rylann felt like she got punched to the gut. With butterflies? Was that a thing? She sputtered. "I—what about—But..."

The console beeped for an incoming call. Crosshair growned, letting go of her hand. He answered, Hunter's face popping up on the holo. "Hunter, what do you want?"

Hunter's face was scrunched up in scrutiny. "It's almost five in the morning and I thought you and I were going to get the training with Rylann set up."

Crosshair huffed, leaning back into his chair as he started to pick at the fraying leather armrest. "I was delivering to the protos."

Hunter narrowed his eyes. "What's taking so long? You usually finish in a couple hours."

Before Crosshair could answer, Rylann waved in front of the camera, getting the motion sensor camera to register her. "Hi, Hunter."

"Rylann?" Hunter's eyes widened in shock as he turned to his brother again. "What's she doing with you?"

Crosshair opened his mouth to speak, but Rylann cleared her throat. "I have been practicing my flying since Tech taught me earlier."

Hunter sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "When will you be back?"

"In an hour and half," Crosshair replied.

"I'll get Wrecker to help me then," Hunter said, waving him off. "Just... next time let me know."

Crosshair scoffed. "Where's the fun in that?"

Hunter didn't reply and instead hung up. Rylann didn't look over at Cross as an awkward silence rang in the air.

"Rylann," Crosshair breathed as he leaned over his armrest to face her.

Rylann turned her body away. "Cross, I don't know if we should even be talking about this..." she bit her lip. "What if Hunter finds out?" That would be embarrassing and they'd both get a reprimanding.

"So what if he finds out?" Crosshair sneered, turning away to cross his arms. "Are you afraid he'll disapprove?" Rylann bit her lip. "Or are you afraid he'll think you like me instead of him."

Rylann furrowed her brows. Since when was this about how she felt about Hunter? "You're not making any sense right now."

Crosshair narrowed his eyes. "You like him don't you?"

If Rylann was drinking water, she'd have spit it out. "What?" Hunter? The pretends-to-be-older-than-he-is Hunter? No way. "Cross what is going on? You need to take a step back and hear yourself right now."

Crosshair spun his chair to face hers as he gently rotated hers to face him. "I need to know, Ry."

Rylann averted her eyes. "Need to know what?"

Crosshair nudged her knee with his. "Don't play dumb with me," he said, gaining her attention again. "How do you feel?"

Everything? I feel everything. She wanted to say that, at least. She longed for Crosshair's love and affection, but knew it was some little girl romanticization of reality.

"I don't know, Cross," Rylann whispered, biting her lip to hold back the tears. "I am so confused right now, but I do know I care for you deeply." She met his eyes and she thought for a moment she saw hope. "That's why I don't want to ruin anything."

Crosshair furrowed his brows as confusion set across his features. "And talking about it will ruin it?"

"No, talking about it is going to make it real." Rylann let out a shaky breath. "And reality says that this could end in disaster."

Cross looked away, leaning back in defeat. "Not talking about it will make it worse, Ryle," he stated after a moment's silence. "But I'll respect that."

How did that make her want to love him more? Why was he being the gentleman to her and respecting the boundary she put in place? It definitely made her want to shove the Code down a toilet and kiss the man.

But no, Rylann shook away the thoughts. But then she remembered the visions. And Shaak Ti's conversation. That all felt like a faraway dream at the moment. What was she to do? Jump at the first moment to break the Code and rush into things? Rylann wanted to make sure she truly liked the guy and wasn't just reacting to some hormonal lunacy.

"Thank you," was all she said. He just nodded in return. 

----------------------

A/N: 

Well, I missed uploading for a bit. Life has been crazy with a lot of left turns thrown in. I got disheartened for a bit cuz of a few things, BUT life is going on and God has shown me some cool things.

SOOOO... I threw in some Crosshair and Rylann stuff. HEHE. Wasn't planning on it, but ya'll deserve it for sticking to it this long and since I am a late uploader. HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT.