10 | The Medic

22 BBY, Month 5

Rylann

The medbay was dark

The medbay was dark. Only a couple of the many overhead lights were on, and the ones that shone, flickered from the passing storm. Rylann let out a breath of air, glad that she wouldn't need to explain the training bolt marks. But, then, how would they know if Crosshair had a concussion?

Their footsteps echoed through the empty medbay as they reached one of the beds in the center of the room. Crosshair sat on the bed, pointing to the computer that was beside it. "Set it up for brain scan, level 2."

"Alright," Rylann said, clicking a few buttons on the screen. "Let's hope I'm doing this right."

"What do you think you're doing?" an all-too-familiar voice asked, sending a rush of fear into Ry's system. She spun on her heel to face the reg, stepping in front of Crosshair.

"Scanning," she blurted out, patting the computer for effect only to make it topple over. Scrambling to set it up right, she ended up making it worse and getting it tangled in the wires.

"She's checking me for a concussion," Crosshair said, swooping in to save the day. Rylann watched as the clone in front of them tilted his head at her friend.

"Oh, wait," the reg said, an excited grin breaking out across his face. "You're one of the Sad Batch."

Rylann's eyes narrowed. "The what now?"

The clone's face paled in realization as he blinked in shock. "Oh, I didn't mean—it's just what everyone calls them." He gestured to Crosshair who was quietly glaring at the reg. "You call yourselves the Bad Batch, right?"

"Yes," Crosshair seethed out. Rylann cocked her head at Crosshair. This was the first time she had heard of this.

"I'm Kix, by the way," the reg said, waving awkwardly before pointing to the computer. "Would you like me to check up on you...what's your name?"

"CT-9904," Crosshair stated dryly, eyes narrowing at the clone. "And why should I let you do that?"

Kix frowned, raising a brow at him. "CT. So creative," he replied sarcastically. "And I'm a medic-in-training."

Crosshair scoffed. "A clone medic. That's a rare sight," Cross said, rolling his eyes, as he pulled out a toothpick. "Too pretty for battle?"

"Combat medic, mind you," Kix stated, brushing past Rylann to easily readjust the computer when she had so much trouble with it. "Your teeth too pretty for battle?" he asked as Crosshair stuck the toothpick into his mouth. "I don't see you on the battlefront either." Kix said, pushing Cross's shoulder to make him lay down on the scanning bed. "Besides, I head out with the 501st in a couple of weeks for my first mission in a few months once training is over."