Chapter 5

Harper was breathing heavily as she looked like a deer in headlights. The audience was silent, nothing but her music playing. Harper slowly stood back up to continue her dance but quickly realized she couldn't put any weight on her foot. Harper couldn't do anything else at the moment but cry as she limped off-stage.

------------

When Harper was fully off the stage, she collapsed on the floor, holding her foot as she sobbed.

Harper was instantly greeted by all her friends and her coach.

"Oh my god," Coach Lotus said as he and the team rushed over to Harper.

"Harper, are you ok?" Matt said, placing a hand on top of her good foot.

All Harper could do was sob

Just then Harper's Mom Jess entered the backstage area only to see her daughter on the floor crying

"Mom," Harper said quietly and faintly through sobs as Jess came over to her

"Aww, Baby," Jess said as she hugged Harper tightly

"What hurts," Coach Lotus said, his eyes wandering her body checking for any obvious injuries.

'M...my..a..ankle," Harper said through light choked-up sobs.

Coach Lotus wasted no time in carefully slipping off Harper's jazz shoe, to reveal Harper's barefoot, Her toes were tinted rosy red, and her ankle looked practically bloodshot.

Jess gently touched her ankle and she winced

"I think she might have sprained it," Coach Lotus said to Jess.

"Baby, can you put weight on it," Jess said to Harper who had calmed down a little

"I don't know" Harper mumbled as her mom rubbed her back

"Here let's try, babe," Jess said sweetly, holding out her hands.

Harper nodded and took her mom's hands. She slowly stood up using her good foot. Making sure her bad foot doesn't touch the ground.

Harper slowly and gently placed her foot on the ground - full weight, she immediately grimaced

"No, no, mom I can't," Harper said rapidly sitting back on the floor, on the verge of tears again

All her friends watched in shock, Harper Dunn was seriously injured.

"Ok, uh, There's a nurse at this competition right," Jess asked Coach Lotus, still holding one of Harper's hands.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure," Coach Lotus said sounding certain

"Is she going to be ok, Mrs. Dunn" Matt asked worried for his friend

"Yeah, she's going to be fine," Jess said looking at Harper.

"Let's get her to the nurse," Coach Lotus said standing up

Jess stood up and proceeded to crouch down to pick up her daughter, Bridal style.

Harper, Jess, and Coach Lotus exited the backstage area doors. They walked down the hallway to the nurse, as they were walking Harper would whimper here and there, and her mom would just kiss her forehead each time one escaped.

Harper, Jess, and Coach Lotus walked into the nurse's office.

"Hi Guys," The Nurse said, sanitizing her hands.

"Hey," Jess said, still holding Harper.

"Aww, what happened, precious," The Nurse said gesturing for Jess to place Harper on the exam table.