S2 EP:2 A Fatal Contract

Everyone was still amazed by Griffin's actions. Not many spoke to him that night, as the events had occurred so unexpectedly. Harper continued to attempt to call Griffin, but he never picked up. It hurt him too much to hear his phone ringing, for fear of what might happen if he answered it. "Dead," Lexi said. Dead - the single word reverberating throughout the room. The weekend flew by quickly and before they knew it, Monday morning arrived. At Sulphur Springs High School, drowsy teenagers wandered around looking for their way to first-period class before exhaustion crept in. Yet things changed when Griffin Campbell - who had been labeled "the missing kid" - suddenly appeared at school once more. Everyone was astonished by his return and with welcoming arms, everyone embraced him warmly. Though one meeting was awaited more than any other; the reunion between Griffin and his girlfriend Harper. Unbeknownst to all, they had already seen each other and it didn't go as expected.

Soon after the greetings, Griffin came about to his friend group. Together they trailed to their first period. Griffin was hesitant when entering his ELAR class for the first period. Fortunately, Harper had not yet arrived, giving him ample time before having to face whatever consequences she may entail. His friends joined him with all smiles as they proceeded to their desks.

"Griffin!" The ELAR teacher, Mrs. Kincaid smiled. She arose from her teacher's desk. "So good to see you" She walked over to Griffin and gave him a hug

"You too" Griffin smiled, before pulling away

Mrs. Kincaid inquired, "So, what happened?" However, she instantly lamented posing the question after observing Griffin's countenance turn blank. It must have been more severe than she imagined.

" Griffin...if you want to go to the counselor-"

"No" Griffin blurted

"I just don't really want to talk about it. I'm sorry" He apologized

"Don't be sorry, Buddy. It's okay" Mrs. Kincaid reassured. Griffin nodded, before sitting back down. Mrs. Kincaid settled back at her desk.

As more students began to enter the classroom, Griffin received even more smiles. Although he didn't think that he deserved them, as no one knew about his interaction with Harper. He kept a watchful eye on the door and tensed each time someone new entered; however, he would relax once it was evident that it wasn't her. That's when Griffin heard 11th graders calling out Harper's name--"Harper," "Harps," and "Harpie." Ugh. It was all too familiar.

Suddenly, Harper arrived with a group of friends and walked toward Mrs. Kincaid's desk. Griffin quickly looked away, trying to avoid any contact with her gaze. Her companions took their seats at their assigned desks but, unexpectedly, she stayed at the teacher's desk instead.

"Hi Darling" Mrs. Kincaid greeted

Harper smiled

"What's wrong?"

"Um, can I sit somewhere else today?" She asked. As expected, she and Griffin always opted to take seats next to each other."

"Why?, You always sit next to Griffin" Mrs. Kincaid reminded

"I know, it's just that...um...well...." Harper's eyes became watery

"No, No- It's okay. You can sit next to Ariana if you want" Mrs. Kincaid suggested

"Thank you" Harper appreciated

"No problem, Sweetie". Harper proceeded to the rear of the room, where Ariana was seated. On her way there, she had to pass Griffin. She held her head high but could sense his gaze following her every move. Setting down her things at her desk, Harper caught an astonished look from Ariana, her friend.