The Sound of Tears

ᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕ

ᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕᔕ

15-year-old Zoey stood in the wings of the stage. The lights were dazzling ahead as the judges kept a sharp eye, and the audience remained attentive. She was adorned in delicate makeup, her hair softly cascading down her back in a half-up-half-down style.

Zoey's tanned abdomen was revealed through her two-piece costume. Her bare feet pressed against the backstage floor, soft rosy red from the pressure and practice. Zoey had already noticed that the dancer in front of her had gracefully stepped off stage. She took a deep breath and stepped up a little. She knew her family was watching, and because Harper competes with her, the Dunns were as well. That meant Topher was present. Zoey smiled softly at the thought. A soothing hand on her shoulder jolted her out of her reverie, followed by another.

Zoey whirled around to see Matt and Harper, her teammates. The 17-year-olds were dressed in their team jackets, their names dazzlingly embroidered.

"Make me proud, baby, " Matt whispered. Zoey grinned and wrapped her arms around him.

"I love you, Matty," She mumbled against his shoulder.

"I love you more, Zozo," he said as he drew away. Zoey then moved her embrace to Harper, whom she hugged tightly as well.

"Do really good, okay?" Harper muttered. Zoey nodded and pulled away. Harper pecked her cheek softly, but her eyes grew wide as she left a light lipstick mark.

She cursed under her breath before gently brushing it away as Zoey laughed, causing Harper to smile. Zoey spun around to face the stage in front of her. She took a deep breath and focused her attention on the speakers.

"Next to the stage, ladies and gentlemen, this is Zoey with 'Chants Of The Sea'," The sound echoed off the speakers and throughout the audience.

Zoey appeared from the wings and strode on stage with ease. Her feet delicately brushed against the dance floor, and she never let her foot leave contact with the ground. Zoey raised her head high as the crowd applauded, constantly hearing her name yelled. Zoey sneaked a peek at the audience and caught Topher's eyes. His gaze sparkled as he smiled widely. Zoey averted her stare from him and resumed her starting position.

When the music started, Zoey's body took over. She'd learned her solo in a week and was flawless. Zoey's leaps were not only spectacular but also mesmerizing. With legs that seemed to stretch towards the heavens, she defied gravity effortlessly. Each turn she executed left the audience in awe, a display of sheer elegance and precision. And when she gracefully rolled across the floor, she seemed to embody grace itself, captivating everyone with her unparalleled talent.

Topher sat in his seat, staring in awe at Zoey. He admired her dancing style. It was different than his sister, something he couldn't put into words. When Zoey dances, she truly tells a narrative, Topher thought as he never moved his gaze away from her. Zoey's Ariel was one of Topher's favorite moves of hers. He had always described them as flawless, so when he noticed Zoey slowly moving to the far corner of the stage, he knew she was about to do it.