From Fear to Flow

On a Thursday afternoon, Sulphur Springs Dance Studio was bustling with activity. Several classes were going on, including Tap, Jazz, and Hip-Hop. 13-year-old Zoey Campbell was particularly engaged in her Ballet class. Zoey had recently advanced to Pointe Ballet classes in addition to Flat Ballet classes that she attended with her dance team. Being part of the pointe class came with its own set of expectations - for this particular day, the dress code required a white leotard and faint pink tights. Intermediate Pointe Class was taking place in Studio C where Zoey and Harper were busy doing foot placement exercises. Wearing a white leotard and pink tights, Zoey looked like every inch of a dancer ready to take the stage.

As Zoey and Harper stood beside each other engaging in foot exercises—something they did regularly—the dance instructor began to give corrections to the dancers. When she offered her remarks to Zoey and Harper, Harper glanced down at her feet in order to ensure that she was following the advice given by her coach. However, as her eyes scanned back up toward the instructor, they stopped at a disconcerting sight - there was blood on the back of Zoey's leotard. Though Harper had abided by the white dress code protocol, she had also donned a white sweatshirt. Realizing what was happening, she acted swiftly without hesitation.

"Zoey" Harper whispered- yelled

Zoey turned her head back, making eye contact.

"Your bleeding through your leotard" Harper muttered

Zoey made a confused look before looking down. She saw the red stain of blood.

"Oh my god!" Zoey mumbled, looking back at Harper

Zoey whispered, her eyes beginning to water, "Help me...please." Harper could tell she was becoming emotional.

"We need to get you to the restrooms, Zozo" Harper muttered

"I'm not walking over there like this"

Harper then took off her sweatshirt, leaving her in her white leotard. She wrapped the sweatshirt around Zoey's waist.

Just then Harper raised her hand

"Yes Harper," The ballet instructor said

"Can Zoey and I go to the restroom?" Harper asked

"Why together?" The instructor question

Zoey and Harper looked at each other, as all attention went to them

"Girl stuff" Harper mouthed

"Quickly, girls," the instructor said as Harper and Zoey both exited Studio C. "I need to get something from my locker, so you go to the restroom," Harper directed, placing a hand on Zoey's shoulder. Zoey nodded in acknowledgment before proceeding toward the restroom. As she walked, an inexplicable feeling stirred within her, but she failed to give it any weight and continued on her way. Once inside the restroom, Zoey perched herself atop one of the long counters while still wearing Harper's white sweatshirt. It wasn't too long before Harper showed 

up too; clutching a cosmetic pouch in her hands.

"Ok Sis," Harper said, as she placed the small bag on the counter, unzipping it

"What happened to me?" Zoey asked, faintly

"You just had your period, that's all," Harper said, as she looked through her bag

"Oh" Zoey sighed

"Do you already know about it?" Harper wondered

"Yeah, 5th-grade growth and development lesson"

Harper chuckled as she pulled out a pad from her bag. "Well that's good, Zozo," she said, handing the feminine product to her. "You'll be fine if you put this on."

Zoey picked up the pad and appeared to be puzzled. "Wait, is this the thing that -" 

 Harper cut her off. "No." 

 Zoey nodded before stepping away from the counter, only to reveal a large splotch of blood on Harper's white sweatshirt.

"Oh my god- I'm sorry," Zoey said starting to become tearful

"No, No, it's fine Zoey" Harper reassured

"No, it's not fine because you loved this sweatshirt, and I ruined it, and-"

"Zoey" Harper said placing her hand on Zoey's shoulders, stopping her rambling

"It's ok" Harper spoke softly. Zoey wrapped her arms around Harper's neck, hugging her tightly

"I love you" Harper muttered, as they hugged

"I love you too, Harppie" Zoey whispered back

Both girls eventually separated. Harper assisted Zoey the entire time and continually reassured her that everything was going to be alright. With Harper's help, Zoey finished her tasks and they headed to the locker rooms; Harper stowed away her belongings while Zoey changed into another leotard and tights. Together, they went back to studio C to rejoin the ballet class. Even though she anticipated some embarrassment, Zoey was pleasantly surprised when the rest of the class applauded her courage instead. She had become a woman in that one moment, something that she could feel proud of.