Behind The Curtain

"Audree, lower on the grand plié. Maintain second position," Coach Callahan's voice echoed throughout the room. It was a cool 2024 night in Sulphur Springs, Louisiana, with the clock striking 9:51 pm. While most kids would be getting ready for bed or relaxing on the couch, the lights at Sulphur Springs Dance Studio remained on, showcasing a full session in progress. The senior company classes were underway, and an intermediate ballet class was also in session. The group of dancers stood in line at one of the two bars, holding onto the handles and practicing their drills.

"Great job, Lyla," Coach praised, but before he could continue, another coach entered Studio C. It was Coach Sophia, the head of the senior company, holding an envelope in her hands.

"This is from The Spotlight Dance Magazine, for the Elites," the 24-year-old informed. Coach Callahan nodded and took the envelope from her. He examined the well-put-together enfold before locking eyes with Sophia once again.

"Is Isaiah here?" Coach Callahan inquired.

"I believe so," Coach Sophia replied.

"Alright, please give this to him," Coach Callahan instructed, handing the envelope back to her. Coach Sophia nodded.

"Thank you," Coach Callahan expressed his gratitude as she made her way towards the door. Coach Sophia smiled at him before exiting the room, already hearing Callahan's voice resuming its lively presence.

Coach Sophia arrived at Studio B and opened the door to find the familiar scene of dancers gathered in a circle, talking and laughing with their teacher. She knew she was in the right place.

"Isaiah?" Coach Sophia called out, causing the girls to turn their attention towards her. Coach Lotus stepped forward in response.

"It's from The Spotlight Dance Magazine," Sophia said, holding up the envelope. Coach Lotus smiled and approached her, taking the cover and examining it before checking the time.

"Ladies, I will see you all tomorrow, Yes?" he said. The girls nodded, except for one.

"I can't make it. I have to get a physical and get new headshots," Landry explained.

"Then I'll see you on Tuesday, Lans," Coach Lotus smiled. They exchanged a knowing look before Landry and the rest of the girls left the studio room.

Coach Lotus peered out of the door and shouted, "Are the elites still here?"

"I think there getting ready to leave," a Coach replied from a distance.

"Tell them to come to studio B," he instructed.

"Sure," the Coach called back. It didn't take long before Coach Lotus heard the sound of numerous footsteps, conversations, and laughter drawing near. The 14 dancers entered the studio, each carrying there competitive team backpack and wearing the 'Sulphur Springs Dance Studio' merchandise.

"Alright, dancers, we've received an exciting update from The Spotlight Dance Magazine. It looks like they've made their decision," Coach Lotus exclaimed, basking in the ecstatic screams of the teenagers.

In a remarkable turn of events, The Sulphur Springs Dance Studio's Elite Competition Team had been presented with an extraordinary opportunity by none other than The Spotlight Dance Magazine – a renowned publication that boasts unparalleled success and popularity within the dance world. They have extended an invitation to one of there dancers to be featured in their prestigious magazine and be interviewed for their YouTube channel, which boasts an impressive subscriber count of over 20 million. The teenagers displayed their moves to the Magazine directors, utilizing it to determine their fortunate dancer.

Coach chuckled as he started to unseal the envelope, but abruptly halted himself.

"Keep in mind, only one of you will receive this opportunity. I can't dictate your emotions, but let's be happy for each other, because you're all stars, MY stars," he clarified. The dancers nodded, their faces beaming with joy.