Chapter 33 [Part 1]

A few days later

Kristin's pov

It's the day of the ball and I'm not looking forward to it. Tom assured me that I wouldn't need to give a speech or anything but I was still dreading going to the ball. First of all, there's going to be loads of people there that I don't know and second of all, I have to dress up for the occasion. I'm not really the type to wear fancy dresses. I've only ever worn dress shirts or long tops over jeans and now I am expecting to wear a gown fit for a princess because that's what I am now and I have to present myself as such.

I had already been presented with a few dresses and I had chosen which one to wear. I had chosen to wear a plain long black dress. It was sleeveless but covered my neck and went down to my ankles. I paired it with silver heels. My outfit was ready, all I had to do was get dressed later on in the day.

Tom was nowhere to be seen, he had to prepare for the ball and had a few meetings. He said he'd see me whenever he was free which would probably be before the ball starts or he'd meet me at the ball if he couldn't get away.

This sucks. I'm here alone bracing myself for a ball to meet everyone and where Tom and I's relationship will be publicised. Everyone will know who I am once that happens and I will no longer be able to have a private life. Who am I kidding? I lost the right to any privacy once I met Tom without even realising it. He is royalty, I will never fulfil my dream of living a private life. It's so unfair. Yes I am happy I have a soul mate even though it wasn't a good start with being kidnapped by Tom but that's all in the past now. Tom proved he has changed and is the mate he should have been from the start. I know he won't revert to his old ways, what we have now is forever, hopefully.

I wish Tom was here with me. Then we could both go through this together. I know he isn't looking forward to the ball either. He told me he hates formal events and only attends the ones that are compulsory such as this mate ball tonight as it is for me and him but it also gives other mates a chance to declare their union too. I suppose it is a beautiful moment and I am excited, I just wish it wasn't in front of loads of people and will become the whole kingdom's knowledge afterwards. My face will be known to everyone, there will be no hiding anymore. I won't be able to go anywhere without anyone not being able to recognise me.

No matter how long I have had to mentally prepare myself for this moment, it will never be enough. I didn't expect for this to happen but deep down I should have known it would happen as soon as I found out Tom is the Prince of this Kingdom and I am his mate. I was kidding myself when I didn't think that this would be it, that I would just have to stay at the palace and be with Tom. I never thought I'd actually have to be a Princess and have a role in this kingdom but that is what I will be once tonight is over. Yes, I will mostly stay in the Palace and be with Tom but I will probably have to support him in his duties from tomorrow. I'm not really sure as we haven't really discussed it. We've both been preoccupied with the upcoming mate ball and with each other when we get the chance as we haven't been together that long. We just want to be together and not ruin it but we have to talk about it at some point soon since I officially become a Princess tonight.

***

When the evening came, Tom was still not back so I got ready for the ball without him. Once I had slipped on the dress and heels. I did my hair and makeup. I decided to leave my hair loose behind my back and I only had to put on a bit of mascara. I lined my eyes with eyeliner with a little lip balm. Since I have become a Vampire, I haven't needed any concealer or foundation as my skin has been amazing and since it is a formal event, I can't wear too much makeup anyway.

"You look beautiful," Tom surprised me from behind as he put his arms around me and kissed my cheek before turning me around to kiss my lips.

"Thank you," I replied and when I saw what Tom looked like, I gasped in surprise. He looked really handsome in his black suit and tie with shoes "You look good too,"

"Thank you but I can't stand this tie, it's suffocating," Tom told me irritably while trying to loosen his tie a little. "I can't wait to take this off later,"

The next few minutes consisted of Tom trying to make his tie comfortable and I tried to help him. There was some improvement but he still wasn't happy.

"So should we get going?" I asked to get his mind of it.

"If we must," Tom said and didn't make any move to get going. Instead, he pulled out a rectangular jewellery box out of his inside jacket pocket and handed it to me. "This is for you, it will look amazing on you,"

I was surprised, I wasn't expecting any gifts from Tom but I opened the box anyway. Inside, was a beautiful diamond covered silver necklace. It looked so expensive, I couldn't possibly take it.

"Tom this is beautiful but I couldn't wear this, it's too much. It must of cost a fortune,"

"Yes, it must of cost a fortune but I wouldn't know because I didn't buy it. It was my grandmother's. It would mean a lot to me if you would wear it because she gave it to me before she died. She said I should give it my mate," Tom told me with a great fondness in his eyes. He must have really loved his grandmother and been close to her if she gave him her jewellery.

"I'm sorry, how did she die?" I asked.

"She died of a broken heart. My grandad died in battle and I guess my grandma couldn't see a life without him," Tom told me with teary eyes.

"I'm so sorry, you must have been close,"

"We were, she was the best grandma. I was always with her when I wasn't with my parents,"

It sounds nice to have a family like Tom's, yeah his grandparents died but at least he had a relationship with them and he still has his parents. I never had that with my family.

"So will you take it?" Tom asked. "My grandma would be happy to know you accepted it, if she were still here,"

I agreed. How could I have said no after knowing that? I took the necklace out of the box and put it around my neck and Tom fastened it shut for me.

"Thank you," I smiled. it really was a beautiful necklace. I didn't think I deserved it but I accepted it to please Tom.

"You're welcome," Tom smiled back before taking my hand and we left the room together. It was time to face the moment we were both dreading.

Don't forget to vote, comment, follow my profile and add this book to your library to receive notifications for future updates!