Prologue

My e/c eyes observed the unfamiliar girl staring at me through the rectangular box in front of me. She followed my movements as I raised my hand pressing against the glass, her's doing the same.

          "Who are you?" I spoke softly, my voice laced with confusion and discomfort. Her lips moved identically with mine and my view shifted to the beautiful dress she was wearing.

          A long, beige dress touching the tile floor but not long enough for her to trip on it. The 'sleeves'—if you would even call them that—draped down, leaving her shoulders exposed along with a black tattoo running from the tip of her right shoulder down to her middle back.

          I sighed not wanting to look at whoever she was any longer and stepped away from the mirror.

        There was a knock at the door and upon my permission a maid opened the door gently. "M'lady," She bowed before giving a weak smile. "Your Majesty would like to see you."

        I nodded my head at her in thanks with a warm smile, sympathizing with her situation. "Thank you, Maki. I'll be there in a moment."

         Her smiled gained strength after seeing mine and she nodded more enthusiastically than she did when she first entered. She closed the door not bothering to be delicate, knowing how I was.

         With one distasteful look at the girl in the mirror, I dusted off imaginary dirt off my beige dress and continued on my way to the throne room.

         My father—or rather—his majesty, sat in the large throne in the center of the room with an absentminded look on his face.

        He had been like this ever since my mother died. His eyes were dull and he'd space out a lot, though he didn't think I noticed.

         I bowed down once I reached him, not lifting my head as I spoke. "Your Majesty."

         "Daughter." His deep voice echoed through the room sending sound waves bouncing off the walls and into my body.

          My hands twitched at the sound of my heart beating louder than it normally does as I quietly cursed at it to shut up.

          The silence was feeding into the tension between us and I could practically feel the guards sweating in anticipation.

          "It seems we have more guests. Please greet them and guide them around town. Make sure you talk us up, hm?"

          I nodded my head, still bowing down, for my father prides himself on his authority.

          "You are excused." He spoke waving me off with his hand, allowing me to lift my head and walk out the palace.

           We weren't the richest royal family there was, but we had some wealth. Although most of our money came from robbing and stealing, my mother was a celestial dragon so we get extra money from the government.

            As I walk through town I get waves and polite conversations. Kids run around and adults try and sell their products to make a living. I smile at the people as I pass by and occasionally I'd stop to talk to some of  them.

          I've always been very close with our people, that is something I pride myself on when it comes to being princess of Sinthaya. I constantly make an effort to get to know the people, have a good bond with them.

          Someone must pick up what my father is lacking in.

        I finally reach the dock seeing a medium sized boat with a...goat? as it's figurehead. I chuckled to myself, mentally contemplating the cuteness of the ship.