Chapter 42: The Aftermath

"It's over now. Don't worry, I'm okay," I smiled awkwardly as my father shouts through the transponder snail about how he knew it was too dangerous to let me go.

"If someone tries to hurt you just call me and I'll chain their ass to the depths of hell!" The transponder snail had an angry and threatening look as it resembled my fathers expression.

"But what about Sinthaya? Who will watch over our people?"

The angry face shifted to a proud one as it rolled its eyes in a dismissing way, "I've started to enhance the guards trainings and I'm training Maki as well, she's become quite the capable maid!"

A look of pleasant surprise possessed my expression as I stopped drawing circles on the bed I was sitting on, "Really?!"

"Yup!" The transponder snail was now grinning at me with closed eyes, "She wanted to pick up a scythe like you but she ended up picking up a sword instead. Don't tell her I told you that or she'll kill me..."

A chuckle escaped my lips and the sun seemed to shine brighter through the window. Footsteps were heard heading towards me and when I looked over I saw Nami turning the corner with a curious face, "Who ya talking to?"

"Who is that?!" The transponder snail darted its gaze to her with a suspicious look, "State your name and age and what your intentions are with my daughter!"

I glared at the snail as I whipped my head back at it, "Father!" I spoke in a stern and scolding voice as I indirectly and silently lectured him about his manners.

"What?!" The snail looked up at me with one of its brows raised way higher than the others, "You think I'm gonna let my guard down just because it's a girl?! Your mother was the same way! I had to fight another woman just to marry your mother!"

I shook my head, flabbergasted at the information I was receiving as Nami stood there awkwardly, not really sure what was going on, but feeling as though she probably shouldn't leave. Which was good since my father began to interrogate her.

"Nami..." The ginger spoke her name once she was asked for it with a hesitant voice, not really knowing where the conversation would lead to. She then gave her name and what her position was on the ship.

"A navigator..." The snail looked down in thought, "So she's smart huh?" It looked back up at a Nami radiating pride as it asked a sensitive question, "And what do your parents do?"

Nami's prideful smile fell and she looked at the snail with an empty expression, "My mother was killed by the marines and I never had a father."

This was news to me considering I wasn't there when Nami first entered the crew. I gave her a sympathetic look which led her to giving me a small smile before I glared at the transponder snail.

There was silence from the transponder snail and I could tell my father had froze at the information. The snail closed its eyes and immediately apologized for its words.

"Okay father, I think you've done enough damage for today. I'll call you later okay? Bye," Even before he could say anything back, I hung up and sighed before turning to Nami, "I am so sorry, Nami. He's a little..."

Nami smiled with a dismissing wave of her hand, "Don't worry about it. It's nice to see that you guys patched things up!"

Subconsciously, my finger went back to making circles on the bed as I looked to the side with a bashful smile, "Yeah...I'm just happy he came to his senses."

The navigator smiled softly before gesturing to where she came from with her thumb and a tilt of her head, "Well, Luffy just woke up and I thought you would've wanted to know."