Chapter 64: The Power of a Collar

"You guys didn't wanna go into town?" Sanji turned to the three of us as we filled up the wooden barrels with more Cola.

"We used up all our Cola in our last fight and maintenance stuff like this is my job!" Franky grinned proudly as he threw another empty bottle into the pile of discarded bottles.

Usopp smiled as well pouring another bottle in as he looked up at Sanji, "I'm here cause I wanted to help out of course! But once we're done us four can go out together! This island seems so cool!"

Sanji denied Usopp's request saying that he was staying here till someone else came back because Nami needed a knight in shining armor to guard the ship since there was a lot of treasure on the ship. In response, Usopp and I gave him a blank expression as we looked at each other before shaking our heads in shame. All of  a sudden, Zoro caught all of our attention by jumping out of the boat and continuing to walk off.

"Hey! Hey! Where are you going?!" Usopp called out to him in a frantic state as he jumped up.

The swordsman stopped in his tracks before turning around with a nonchalant look, "Going for a walk."

Sanji and Usopp began freaking out about how he needed someone to go with him or how he was gonna get lost to which Zoro told them the trees were numbered. They seemed to relax a little at that, but still seemed uneasy so I got up and grabbed my bag that was leaning against the railings and told them I'd go with him.

"Are you sure, Y/n?" Usopp turned to me with an almost guilty look, probably feeling like he pressured me or forced me in some way to go with him.

I smiled at him and Sanji reassuringly as I waved my hand in dismissal, "I want to explore the island so that I can journal it anyways. It's like killing two birds with one stone." The two of them nodded their heads before thanking me and then I jumped off the ship and walked over to Zoro.

He didn't wait for me to catch up to him, instead he continued walking in a random direction. I could tell he was irritated by how tense his hands and arms were and the expression he held on his face before he turned around, "What a bunch of bull crap. I don't know what those idiots were on about."

I chuckle, but decide not say anything as to not get him angrier though it backfired since he whipped his head around to look at me.

"What are you laughing at, Nightmare?!" He glared down at me with a malicious expression.

The smile remained on my face as I calmly put my hands up, "Nothing, nothing."

His eyes narrowed at me for a second before aggressively sighing as he turned away and basically stomped off. I followed behind him with a smile as I adjusted my bad since it was slipping off. We walked together for a little in silence before my mind had recalled my conversation with Nami and my lips had allowed my voice box to ask him the same question.

"It doesn't matter," Was his answer.

"It matters to me," I retorted as I looked up at him, our feet slowly becoming in sync as we walked, "I want to know more about you Zoro. Plus, you already know my story."

His eyes were dead set on the path in front of him as he didn't look at me. He shifted his hands to let his forearms rest on his swords and he took a barley noticeable sigh before explaining his past. He told me about the dojo and a girl named Kuina who had died at an early age. Like Nami, Zoro was never one to show emotions like sadness, but when talking about this girl it was evident he was in pain. He still hadn't gotten over it and it seemed like he pushed those feelings down every time they tried to resurface.

After he was done we walked for a little longer in silence as I processed everything. I felt an impressed feeling after hearing that he started at a Dojo at a young age—which meant that he was passionate about swordsmanship from the start and has been working towards that same goal for years. Afterwards, his explained about the Kuina situation and her old sword that he now carries with him along with why his dream is to become the world's greatest swordsman.