Chapter 20: Back at the Starting Line

hello peeps, just wanted to let y'all know I will be skipping skypeia and we'll pick back up on the storyline right before water 7! If you wanted to know what it would've been like if you had gone or would like some Skypeia action then let me know and I'll make an extra long side story! (Kinda like the movie type thing on crunchyroll that sums up what happens in Skypeia) these next few chapters will be filled I suppose, introducing new love interests Shanks!! and an oc) and explaining what you're doing while the others are experiencing Skypeia! thanks guys🫶🏽

— — — — — —

"Your majesty, I can't help but feel guilty. Are you sure you want to do this?" Maki's wavering voice reached my ears as she stood behind me, watching me look out to the sea.

Guards from Jigao had ran into us right as we left from Jaya and happily gave us a ride on their ship once they found out I had willingly chose to go back.

I took a deep inhale of the fresh and salty air, enjoying the cool breeze that made my hair dance in the wind, "I'm sure, Maki. This is what I've decided to do."

And so, I followed through with my plan. We continued onward to Sinthaya and eventually we made it back to the motherland. Upon arriving, townspeople and villagers were crowding the dock, awaiting our arrival and cheering once it came.

A smile reached my lips as a small exhale escaped my lips.

I definitely missed this.

I didn't have time to greet my people as the guards from Jigao rushed me into the castle to get changed and get ready to meet the prince and see Chen.

A dark blue ballgown with a black corset and a lace top sat on my bed with the jewelry and shoes I was supposed to wear: a simple silver necklace with a diamond rectangle, complimenting the dangling, sparkling earrings with a Diamond bracelet to show off our wealth along with a pair of black heels, modest but still attractive.

I look at the outfit, not really mad about it as I assume Hinkin, the most fashionable maid in the staff, chose it out for me. My fingers delicately trace the rough material of the ballgown thinking it's pretty, but also unnecessary and not worth wasting on the pathetic men.

I don't see why I should be making this much of a first impression with the Prince, we're gonna get married anyways it's as if they're forgetting that this is an arranged marriage.

Nonetheless, I put everything on so that Maki could come in and start on my hair and makeup. The woman seemed to take over my mother's spot after she died and ended up treating me like I was her own.

Maki smiled at me as she had her hands gently on my shoulders, looking at me through the mirror, "You're all ready, Your Majesty."

Usually I'd ask her not to be so formal, but the identical girl staring at me in the mirror made me pause. It had been so long since I've seen myself like this and I still don't recognize who I am even as I look at my stunning hair and face.

Maki led me to the dining room along with a guard, Malikai—who I think she fancies, but she consistently denies it—before stopping at the two large doors, "I wish you luck, Princess Y/n."

I nodded to her in thanks before turning to the door and letting out a sigh once I hear the two's footsteps start to clack away. Pushing my shoulders back and lifting my head, remembering what my mother had taught me, I push open the doors and walk inside with the sound of my heels stopping the conversation between my father and Chen.

"Ah, Y/n! It's a pleasure to have you here with us!" Chen grinned knowingly as he placed a grubby hand on my fathers shoulder who seemed out of it, his eyes fogged over.