Chapter 34: Nico Robin

"Y/n, what's going on?" Robin leaned forward anxiously, a concerned expression I'd never seen on her face before. Lucci had put her in my cart so that the rest of them could use the one she was in.

I smiled bitter sweetly as I brushed some hair behind my ear, "They plan on training me so that I could work alongside them."

"And you want to?"

"No!" I leaned on the table so she can see my honesty closer, "Of course not! I made a decision to stay with the crew and live my life freely! I won't let that be taken away from me!" I retracted sadly as my eyes fell to the side and I seemed to have lost the volume in my voice, "Not when I've finally made a decision for myself..."

"How do you do it?" Robin looked at me, not bothering to hide the desperation in her eyes.

I looked at her with confusion, unsure of what she was talking about, "What do you mean?"

Her voice seemed to shake slightly as she gazed at me as if I was a rare species, "To be able to freely make a choice for yourself and not worry about the consequences, how do you do it?"

I laughed in disbelief, "Are you kidding? I barley know how to do it! I just started to learn how literally this week!" I smiled softly at her with sympathetic eyes, "I'm not as awesome as you think I am."

Robin seemed shocked before she composed herself and shook her head with a small smile, "No, that's not true. I thought we were the same, but I was wrong," She smiled sweetly at me, her eyes closing as a light radiated off of her, "You're far more impressive."

I was stunned, speechless. I mean what do i say to compliment like that from a woman like her? It was so honest and genuine. I've never seen Robin so vulnerable.

My eyes shifted down to my hands that fiddled with each of my fingers, "Thank you, but I think it's the other way around."

She tilted her head curiously, "How so?"

"You're a powerful, smart, and beautiful woman who's managed to live this long by fending for yourself. Not only that, but you're funny and a little creepy, but you're wise and always seem to be thinking ahead," I finally mustered up the strength to look her in the eyes and I was able to see her surprised face, "I think the only person who can't see that is you."

Robin's gaze looked down a little, "And how do I do that? See it, I mean."

"Let go and move on," I could tell the archeologist didn't see this coming, but I continued either way, "Let us help you, Robin."

"I cant-"

"Because you don't want us to get hurt? You know we can handle it, Robin. I know you know that. The reason you're not letting us is because you're scared to rely on someone else," I spoke because I knew how she felt, "Your whole life you've been on your own and so far it seems like it's been working, but the truth is your imprisoning yourself."

Robin shook her head, her eyebrows furrowing, "I don't understand."

I reached over and grabbed her hands with a reassuring smile, "The only person stopping you from being free is you. If you want permission to live freely then...Robin, this is me telling you that you're allowed to live however the hell you want."

Robin took in my words, comfortable silence filling the air before she smiled gently at me, "Thank you, Y/n."

"Anytime!"

Before either of us could say anything else, a knock was heard on the window and we both turned to see Usopp in a mask.

"What the?" I tilted my head curiously as he put up the peace sign. We let him in and he informed us that Luffy and the others are on the way while introducing himself as 'Sogeking'.