Chapter 21: Daiki and Shanks

"So tell me about yourself, Y/n. Who am I marrying?" Daiki smiled at me kindly as he moved another chess piece.

I looked at the board in thought before moving my knight to collect his, "I am simply a princess who cares for her kingdom. You'd do well to remember that, Daiki."

The prince shook his head with disapproval at my answer, "With all due respect, I could care less about the princess right now. I want to get to know my soon-to-be wife."

My eyes shifted to the side as I fiddled with a piece of my dress, not really knowing where to start.

He chuckled at this, seemingly noticing my reluctance as he moved his chess piece and grinned slightly at me, "Alright, I'll go first. Ask me a question, anything at all."

I bit my lip in thought, not paying attention to the chess pieces as much as I was before and moving my pawn mindlessly, "What is your dream?"

The prince seemed taken back at the question. I assumed he was expecting a simple question like what his favorite color was, but by the widening of his grin and light laugh he seemed pleasantly surprised, "My dream..." He managed to capture my queen as his dark blue hair fell slightly in his face before he pushed it back against his ear. "My dream is to become King of Jigao and utilize this brain of mine to help our kingdom truly thrive."

Ah.

His words seemed to strike a cord with me. That royal pride that I had felt in myself was beaming off the handsome Prince as light shined on his smooth light caramel skin, complimenting his complexion.

If there was one thing me and the man had in common it was our love for our kingdoms and the pride we held for it. It was something that made me feel a lot more comfortable with the man as I realized he wasn't like his father at all.

"My turn," He shook himself out of his daydream of achieving the ambitious goal and looked towards me with curiosity glazing his obsidian eyes. "What's your dream?"

My eyes fell to the chess board as I though long and hard about the question, but still not being able to come up with an answer, "I don't know."

"You don't know?"

I failed to look the man in his eyes, feeling quite vulnerable, "I've never been able to dream before. I was always chained down to this island so I don't even know how to begin having such big ambitions."

Daiki listened intensively before humming and nodding his head understandingly.

Not wanting the attention to stay on me, I asked him what was stopping him from achieving his dream as I moved another one of my corner pawns, "I mean can't a Prince become a King as long as the current King steps down? Only Princesses are the ones who have to marry to become Queen."

Daiki sighed at this before chuckling dryly and moving his Queen to capture one of my bishops, "Well yes, but my father doesn't agree with the way I do things. He thinks I 'think too much'."

I roll my eyes at the King's words, "I think he thinks too little."

Daiki perked up and sprawled out his arms towards me with an exasperated expression to which I jumped back a little in shock, "Right?! He doesn't think! We cant win every battle with just power! There's always going to be someone stronger!"

He seemed to notice my shock as he froze before clearing his throat and straightening out his suit, sitting up straighter, "My apologies."

My lips pursed together before a stifled laugh bursted out as I laughed at the man's enthusiasm, "No problem, you're just passionate is all!"