[15] One On One

Bowser puts his hands together and sets them on the table. "You can eat at any time. It's not a lot what I'm about to tell you." 

"Oh, o-okay." You pick up your utensils and bite the tender steak and mixed veggies. Cutting off a small piece of meat, you begin chewing softly.

"It's only been almost two days, yet it feels like you've been here forever," Bowser speaks. "Fitting in with no problem at all, it's rather strange." He admits honestly. "You're not a magician, are you?" His question makes you burst into laughter unwillingly. Implying you magically wiggled your way into the feelings of everyone at the castle. This makes the man frown. "I'm being serious..."

You settle down. "The answer is no to your question. That'd be a pretty low thing to do even for me, and I'm rather unhinged at times." You continue to eat joyfully, still reasonably impressed by the flavors. "Off-topic, but who made this? It's so delicious!"

 Your comment made him blush, causing him to scratch the back of his head nervously. "M-me..."

You immediately stop and look his way. "Really?" The words of disbelief escape your lips as you gaze down at the food and then back at him. "Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude..." 

"No need. It's been a while since I've made something like this. The kids aren't necessarily there yet to eat these types of meals. They're still children, after all." His eyes trail off you and onto the table. "But that won't last forever..."

As he speaks, you sense a hint of sadness, causing you to pause and bring your hands together. "When that day arrives, they will become fantastic adults." 

Bowser looks back at you, meeting your gaze.

"I've said it before, and I'll repeat it as many times as needed: You are doing an amazing job as a single father of eight. It's clear that you are doing something right to raise such great kids, and I hope you continue to do whatever you do to keep them happy and healthy."  

He sighs. "You're too kind for your own good; you're aware of that fact, right?"

You chuckle. "You sound like someone I know. Although, I wouldn't say that if I were you since you've seen how I get what I get irritated."

Bowser chortles. "That I do." He straightens up, tapping his sharp claws against the table's surface. "You have a fire inside you. No wonder you fit in so well here..."

"It appears you have already found the answer to your previous question." You snicker. 

Bowser lightly nods. "So it would seem..."

Before you had time to process it, you finished the meal the man had prepared for you. You were saddened that you had finished it quickly but happy that he had made it for your consumption. "Thank you for the meal, your highness! It's an honor to have eaten something made by your hands!" You express your happiness genuinely without leaving even the slightest bit of food behind.

"You're also quite a kiss-ass, aren't you?" Bowser jokes, his comment making you gasp dramatically.

"As if!" You huff, folding your arms. You side-eyed the man. "Besides, if I wanted to, don't you think I would have done it by now?"

Bowser waves his hands. "I'm aware I was merely messing with you."

You playfully shook your head, stood up, and gathered the plate and utensils before setting them on top.

Bowser also stood up and blocked your way. "Don't even think about it, let me." He takes the plate from your hands, walks to the kitchen sink, and washes it.

As he did so, you quickly took advantage of the situation and stated, "I'll be right back." While he wasn't paying attention, you rushed to your room to grab the gift you had prepared for him before returning to the dining room.

As soon as you arrive, he finishes and turns to face you, raising an eyebrow when he sees you holding something behind you. "You look guilty with a mix of excitement." 

You giggle. "Your intuition is right, dear Koopa King!" You excitedly reveal the mystery and proudly display the gift you and the Koopalings prepared. Initially, you planned to present a simple bouquet of fire flowers, but with the help of many hands, it quickly evolved into a wooden basket overflowing with them. "For you." 

Handing the gift to Bowser, he takes them, clearly in a state of shock. "For... me?" 

You smile, seeing his reaction. "It's something the kids and I put together." You gulp, trying to form your following sentence carefully. "We hope it'll make your spirits a little lighter." Softly grazing the flowers, you sigh. "But they're unlit at the moment..." 

Bowser opens his mouth and shoots a quick burst of fire, causing them to glow brightly. "There." 

You smile happily. 

The fire radiates against your face, warming your skin.

"Thank you, (F/n)..." 

You stand in front of him. 

Bowser meets your eyes. 

A faint smile appears on his face. 

He reaches up, his fingers wrapping around the brim of your hat. You feel a slight tug as he pulls the hat off your head, revealing your hair. With a gentle touch, he pats your head. "You're doing good." He returns your hat and then walks away carrying the basket. "Rest up and have a good night." 

You watch him disappear into the hallway. Your mind is filled with confusion and disbelief. Unable to understand what had just happened, your heart begins racing in your chest. Your legs felt weak, and you collapsed onto the floor.

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')