[53] March

Everyone, including Kamek, gasps in sync.

"Sire, not to impose on such a confession, but why the change of heart?" The magician questions curiously. Eager to know after everything he and Bowser have done to achieve his plans.

"It's something I've been avoiding for quite some time; I was just too stubborn to admit it because I thought my plans would not be achieved in another form..." The man admits sadly.

"Since when, then?" Kamek asks.

Bowser avoids the stare of his right-hand man and the rest of the Koopas. "Days after she arrived..."

Everyone gasps again in unison.

"Sire, that quickly?"

Bowser lets out a heavy sigh, giving a light nod. "I didn't realize it at first. I thought it was a mere feeling of having a woman with us after so long, but then, I figured it was so much more than that when I began dropping my guard around her..." He tugs at his spiked collar, a frown forming on his face. "And everything turned for the worse when I chased her out in a moment of rage. I should've listened instead of getting angry..."

Kamek wants to console his king the best way he can, but this is not the time. He had to push all personal feelings aside and let the man realize his mistakes for himself, but also know they can be fixed. "It's going to be okay, sire, because we'll help you save her." is the only thing that Kamek reassures Bowser of.

"You're right..." He gets up, adjusting himself, and stands straight. Turning to face Kamek and his army, the look of their leader was back and more powerful than ever before. "Prepare yourselves and the ships." Bowser motions to the magician, and he nods eagerly in return.

"You heard the king! Let's get going!" Before Kamek can run off with the rest, Bowser stops him.

"You and the others will be a diversion, and I will locate (F/n). If I'm lucky enough, I'll run into that bastard and kick his ass." He states firmly.

"And so it shall be, sire."

Bowser goes silent for a second before resuming. "Was my crush on (F/n) obvious..?" 

"I wouldn't say obvious, but it was evident you were refraining from your true feelings because you felt inclined to continue to pursue Princess Peach." Kamek comments, then realizes the straightforwardness of his answer. "I m-mean no harm in saying-!" 

"It's okay," Bowser interrupts, a sad smile on his face. "I'm glad you noticed, too." He sighs, rubbing his face furiously. "No time to lament on that now; I must do something before we head out." 

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

"Children!" Bowser burst through the living room doors where the Koopalings lounged in. 

They all quickly stopped what they were doing, got up, and approached their father. 

"What's wrong, papa?" Junior steps forward. 

The man crouches down to face them properly. "Listen, a lot has happened in a few hours, but everything will be alright." He looks down at the floor, gathering the courage to speak to the eldest Koopalings correctly. "There's not enough time to explain, but in short, my brother has returned and kidnapped (F/n) in the process..."

The kid's eyes widen in shock and slight fear. 

"But don't worry, I'll set things right." He forces a smile. "For all of us," Bowser states confidently and stands up, patting their heads individually. "There's nothing to fear." The man brings them in for a group hug, which they all cling to him tightly. 

Once they let go, Bowser tries to leave before something tugs on the end of his cape. 

It's Junior on the brink of tears. "Be careful, papa..." He struggles to speak but pushes past it. "And bring (F/n) back to us, please..." 

The Koopa King ruffles his son's red hair. "Of course, Junior." The man says his temporary goodbyes and closes the door, trying to control his emotions. 

After the confession earlier, he feels he can express himself freely without any worries. 

He walks down the hallway before picking up the pace and runs at full speed to where Kamek and his army are waiting for him to take off. 

That's right, I'll defeat Aoi and retrieve my princess.

Bowser clutches the rope chain that holds his cape in place over his shoulders.

Just hold on a little longer (F/n)...

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')