[37] 2-Up

"Brothers?" You repeat, making them nod in return. 

"That's right! We were sucked into a giant green pipe while trying to fix a sewage leak under the city and ended up here!" Mario explains, still not believing the scenario. 

You stare at him blankly, trying to process his words. "I'm going to be honest with you; I didn't understand a word you said."

"Oh, was I not-?"

"No, it's not your fault. I'm not in a clear state of mind right now, so forgive me."

Luigi shakes his head. "Not at all, miss! Don't worry about it!" 

You smile as best as you can. 

"Amidst all of this chaos, what's your name?" Mario questions curiously. 

"(F/n). I'm from the Mushroom Kingdom that's ruled by Princess Peach."

"Mushroom Kingdom?" Luigi says. 

"Princess Peach?" Mario asks. 

"Yes, gentlemen!" You muster up the same energy they give to you. 

Not wanting to worry or scare them, you push aside what transpired between you and Bowser since it's no one's problem or fault. 

The change in your demeanor and the shift in your tone of voice is noticeable, but the brothers didn't mind, nor did they judge. "I'm heading there right now due to a change of plans." You put on your usual smile. "Care to join me to help out with your endeavor? I'm certain the princess will know what to do."

They comply easily. "Yes, please!" They both express. "Lead the way!"

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

The three of you thankfully made it to the kingdom's edge before sunset over the green hills. 

"Here we are!" You state, motioning to the village and then to the castle in the near distance. 

"Oh, wow..." They comment in unison, gazing from one place to the other. 

"Right? In the castle is where Princess-."

"(F/n)?!"

You all turn in the direction of a high-pitched voice and see Toad. 

You smile widely and wave at him. 

His announcement automatically alerts any lingering toads who hear your name. 

"She's back! Everyone, she's back!" Toad exclaims joyfully, running to you and giving you a big hug. 

When he did, a couple of toads turned into many as they joined the group hug. 

Mario and Luigi step aside as this happens, smiling at the sight of you and the toads. Becoming apparent to them that you're loved and respected in this community. 

"It's been too long! We're glad you've returned!" They all cheer happily, jumping up and down. 

They remind you of how the Koopalings react to your presence. 

"Likewise! But as much as I'd like to catch up, I need to speak to Peach." You motion to the two brothers. 

All the toads' eyes shift to them. Curiously staring at them, making them a tad bit nervous.

"It's an urgent matter..."

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

Mario and Luigi gaze wondrously at the castle's interior as the three of you are being escorted to the throne room where you knew Peach would be.