[17] Duties Remain

While you and Bowser clean up after breakfast, he speaks up through the calm silence during the process. "I'll be out for a couple of hours again today. Can you hold down the fort if needed?"

"Of course! No need to ask something you'll know the answer to." You comment while sweeping around the room and under, if needed, objects. 

"I know..." The man quietly mutters.

"What will you do, if you don't mind me asking?" You question, attempting to continue the conversation. 

"I'm attending an annual meeting for certain kings across the lands. Or in more simple terms. What the common folk would call us 'bad guys'." He faces you, placing a hand on his hip. "I'm sure you've heard stories about people like me, right? Back at the Mushroom Kingdom?" 

You stop, wearing a sad smile. Looking up from the floor, you nod. "Yes, I've heard many things. Mainly about you..." Your voice trails off, making Bowser slightly curious. 

"I'll assume by your reaction that they're not good things. Although, I don't blame anyone who does. I'm aware that what I do doesn't appeal to everyone." The man wipes his hands with a nearby cloth. 

"That's true..." You say, finishing your task. "But if I may again, who will attend this meeting? The only 'bad guy' I've ever known is you, and as of late, the so-called King Boo has been mentioned by the Koopalings when we all went out the other day." 

Bowser groans, rolling his eyes at the mention of the name. 

"Is something wrong?"

"That guy..." The man pauses, collecting his thoughts. "I'm not fond of him, but maybe because I've known him for years." He rubs his chin. "I don't know. Generally speaking, he's rather annoying and creepy. And not in the way you think. He's the king of ghosts for a reason."

"King Boo..." You voice before getting an idea. "Can I meet him sometime?!" You ask excitedly. 

"Absolutely not." Bowser replies without hesitation. 

"Why not?" You whine. 

"I just told you why!" He retorts. "Are you sure you're not the deaf one?!" 

You tilt your head. "What do you mean?"

Bowser sighs. "When you struck the deal with me, you said if I was deaf when you..." He gulps.
"Said that you love me..." His face unwillingly turned pink, recalling the event. 

"Oh, that comment..." You hold in a laugh. "Right, right..." You smile instead to try to make him less nervous. "If it comes down to it, we're both a bit deaf then, huh?" You let out the laugh you tried to keep in. 

"Alright, alright. I have to get going soon." He takes off his apron and hangs it on a coat rack nearby. 

"Take care!" You wave him off, watching him walk away through the hallway. 

He stops, not even halfway, and glances over his shoulder before turning back. "Likewise." 

You sway back and forth, realizing you are falling deeper into the pit of love for the Koopa King than ever before. 

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')