[39] The Orange Gal

Everyone trudges through the burning desert, their faces glistening with sweat under the relentless sun. Peach leads the way, her voice reassuringly urging everyone to keep going. You all took the ocean line and are continuing the expedition on foot.

You always avoided the desert on your voyages for several reasons, but your perspective changed since the Koopalings led you to a captivating area of the sandy biome.

It was surprising when Peach mentioned going through the desert again, but it wasn't the same this time. This bit is ruled by an 'old friend' whom Peach has known for years. 

You can't recall much about this friend because Peach never discussed her in detail. However, the few times she did mention her, it was always good things.

Upon drawing near, outlines of pyramids and buildings emerged from the hazy distance. 

A sigh of relief escapes the mouths of the group, quickening the pace until you finally reach the castle doors surrounding the palace. 

The doors starkly contrast with the rough-hewn wooden ones of the Jungle Kingdom; instead, they're massive and majestic. The doors are crafted from polished marble and gleaming gold, and intricate carvings adorn the surface. 

As Peach looms over the doors to knock, a group of soldiers materializes from the shadows with their bows drawn, ready to unleash a barrage of arrows upon the slightest provocation.

The princess's eyes widened, holding out her hands in a defensive stance, "Woah, wait! We come in peace!" 

The commander, who wears full armor adorned with gold, steps forward. Ready to give the order to attack at any moment, but something makes them hesitate. "Princess Peach?" They question incredulously, recognizing the girl. 

Peach's face lit up with a glimmer of hope when hearing her name.

They remove their helmet, revealing a beautiful maiden with light blue eyes and dashing, short, wavy brown hair flowing gracefully in the warm breeze. 

Peach's eyes widened in disbelief as she uttered, "Princess Daisy?" Her lips curve into a smile, realizing it's her old friend. "Thank goodness it's you," She voices. "I feared it might've been someone else after these years..."

Daisy's eyes dart from one person to another, scrutinizing each of you. Her gaze stops at Luigi, who held her stare for a few seconds before looking away. Turning her attention back to the princess, she asks, "Who are these people with you?" Her tone is cautious and slightly suspicious. "State your business," The girl adds.

"We wouldn't come all this way if it wasn't important." 

Daisy scoffs quietly. "Figures..." She mumbles disappointingly. Clearing her throat, she speaks again. "And what is it you seek from me?"

"A moment of your precious time to possibly complete our alliance?" Her comment surprises the girl. She hesitates for a moment. "It's about the Koopa King, Bowser..."

The mention of his name saddens you. 

Daisy's frustrated features fall off her face, raising a hand. 

The soldiers lower the weapons and retreat into the castle walls. 

The girl sets aside her resentment to tackle a bigger problem at hand. "Watch your step on the way in."

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

You and the rest were led into Daisy's castle and escorted to her throne room. 

While waiting, Peach paces back and forth around the room, like something's stressing her out.

"Are you okay?" Mario questions the princess, making her stop dead in her tracks.

Peach's voice is full of regret as she communicates, "It's just... it's been forever since we've seen or talked to each other." The girl's eyes glance down. "I feel horrible coming here only because of this situation and not in my spare time to visit." Her shoulders drop as she groans, the weight of shame bearing down on her. Her pacing increases as she continues, "I feel so guilty..." 

"Were you two close?" Luigi asks. 

"Yes, but we grew apart due to passing years and our growing kingdoms..." Peach walks over to you and sulks against your shoulder.

You pat her back softly. 

"I'm sure she must understand why, wouldn't she? She's a monarch, just like you," Mario says, causing Peach to ponder his words.

"Yes, I suppose it's true, but she's on the tougher side of things-."

The throne room doors burst open, revealing Princess Daisy, who's not wearing her armor. She's in a gorgeous orange dress with a light green flower pendant at the center of her chest. 

Her remarkable beauty could rival Peach's if they were put together. 

"Toadstool, you're in trouble!" The orange gal approaches Peach and points at her aggressively.

"Daisy, I can explain-."

"Explain later!" She flings her gloved arms around. "I'm concerned about what you said at the gates. Is it true?"

"I'm afraid so..." Peach replies with a look of discomfort. "He hasn't acted yet, but we fear it's approaching sooner than anticipated." She motions to you and the rest. "That's why we've traveled far and wide from the Mushroom Kingdom to the Jungle Kingdom and, last but not least, to Sarasaland."

"That's quite a risky move, especially for you," Daisy mentions, now thinking things clearly. Sighing, she emits. "All right, we'll join your alliance. More so since I'm also at risk."

"Thank goodness, at least you were easier to convince than Cranky Kong."

Donkey Kong rolls his eyes. "Yeah, well, try living with him. That'll definitely change your mind."

Daisy smirks. "I can rearrange the easiness if you'd like-." 

"No, please!" Peach begs, making Daisy burst into laughter. 

"I'm joking; calm down!"

This interaction allows the rest to chuckle along with the two princesses. 

"This is quite a batch of interesting individuals we have in this alliance, don't we?" Daisy notes. 

"Yes, you can say that. With talents and abilities from all likes around, it will be easier than before."

"If we have a smidge of time, I'd like to have you all stay here in the meantime. You traveled all this way from one kingdom to another." Daisy expresses with care. "You must be tired."

Everyone looks at one another and then back to Peach and nod. 

"Wonderful! We'll stay here for a day or less, then head on from there. How does that sound?"

"That would be lovely, Daisy. You didn't have to, but I'm glad you're still a kind soul..."

"Don't read too much into it. As you can tell, it's rare when something like this comes along. It is troublesome, but that's what makes life so interesting." Her light blue eyes soften.

The blondie smiles. "You said it..."

A spark between the old friends starts to ignite. 

A twinkle of expectancy rises within everyone in the room. 

Only time will tell what will transpire from here on out.

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')